55189: Tame Microsoft Project
55189: Tame Microsoft Project course is intended for Microsoft Project users that need to manage a schedule but will NOT be managing cost within Project. By focusing only on the SCHEDULING capabilities of Project, this course dramatically simplifies this powerful application, thus the name: Tame Microsoft Project!
In addition to the student manual, this course uses a Project Template (.mpp) and additional tabs to the Ribbon, both of which simplify the interface for the user.
- » This course is intended for Project users who need to use Microsoft Project to create schedules with clear task responsibility and to regularly update those plans with schedule progress information, but who DO NOT use the cost management or resource allocation views of Microsoft Project. The audience for this course could be people managing large or small projects, part-time teams or dedicated teams, and people who are new to Project.
Back to Top
- » Initiate an Microsoft Project plan by correctly recording Project Information and configuring the Project Calendar
- » Create a project schedule that highlights task dependencies and the critical path
- » Assign task responsibility to specific people or organizations
- » Easily update task status to show whether a project is on schedule
- » Modify a project schedule in response to changes in the project, while maintaining a record of the original plan for comparison
- » Produce schedule reports for management and customers
Back to Top
- Introduction to Microsoft Project
- An Overview of Project Management Best Practices
- Project Supports the Practice of Project Management
- An Introduction to the User Interface of Microsoft Project
- Introducing the Custom Ribbon to Tame Microsoft Project!
- Lab 1: No Lab exercises for Module 1
- A Quick and Easy Overview of Managing with Project
- Create a New Project
- Enter Tasks and Task Relationships
- Define Resources
- Assign Resources and Duration to Tasks
- Baseline the Plan
- Track Project Progress with the Tame Tracker View
- Lab 1: Creating a Basic Project from the Tame Template
- Create a Project Plan.
- Analyze the Project Information.
- Update the project with actual schedule performance information.
- Setting up a Project
- The Steps for Setting Up a Project
- Start a New Project File from the Tame Template
- Configure the Project Calendar
- Set the Project Properties
- Lab 1: Enter Project Information
- Choose the project Start Date and Scheduling Method.
- Creating a work Breakdown Structure
- Guidelines for Creating a List of Tasks, or Work Breakdown Structure
- Entering and Organizing Tasks in Project
- Format the Work Breakdown Structure
- Lab 1: Manipulate a WBS
- Manipulate a WBS
- Identifying Task Relationships
- Determining Task Sequence
- Three Types of Task Relationships
- Methods of Creating the Finish to Start Relationship
- View the Network Diagram
- Lab 1: Display the Sequence
- Display the Sequence
- Defining resources within Project
- Adding a Resource Using the Resource Sheet
- Lab 1: No Labs for Module 6.
- Making Detailed Task Estimates
- Work Package Estimates
- Duration Estimates
- Assigning Resources to Tasks
- Assigning Tasks to Resources in the Team Planner View
- Task Types
- Lab 1: Assign Duration and Resources
- Assign duration and resources to each task.
- Creating an Intial Schedule
- Calculate the Schedule: The Theory Behind the Software
- Critical Path as a Management Tool
- Identifying Schedule Float
- Applying Schedule Constraints
- Defining Milestones
- Lab 1: Calculating an Initial Schedule
- Calculating an Initial Schedule
- Manually Schedule vs. Auto schedule
- Manual Scheduling
- Lab 1: Experiment with Manually Scheduled Tasks
- Experiment with Manually Scheduled Tasks
- Managing the Project
- The Project Baseline
- Visualize Progress with the Tracking Gantt View
- Record Schedule Progress Using Actual Start, Actual Finish, and % Complete
- Lab 1: The Baseline
- Set the Schedule Baseline
- Lab 2: Entering Actual Progress
- Enter Actual Progress Using the Tame Tracker View
- Formatting Output and Printing Reports
- Format the Timeline
- View Reports
- Lab 1: Create Reports in Project 2013
- Create Reports in Project
Back to Top
We ensure your success by asking all
students to take a FREE Skill Assessment test.
These short, instructor-written tests are an objective measure of your current skills that help us determine whether or not you will be able to meet your goals by attending this course at your current skill level. If we determine that you need additional preparation or training in order to gain the most value from this course, we will recommend cost-effective solutions that you can use to get ready for the course.
Our required skill-assessments ensure that:
- All students in the class are at a comparable skill level, so the class can run smoothly without beginners slowing down the class for everyone else.
- NetCom students enjoy one of the industry's highest success rates, and pass rates when a certification exam is involved.
- We stay committed to providing you real value. Again, your success is paramount; we will register you only if you have the skills to succeed.
This assessment is for your benefit and best taken without any preparation or reference materials, so your skills can be objectively measured.
Take your FREE Skill Assessment test »
Back to Top
- Highly-skilled in graphics and web software including Adobe CS3, CS4 & CS5 Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign, Captivate, Acrobat and Quark;
- Expert in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Licensed Application Instructor and Microsoft Certified Trainer since 2000.
- Over 20 years of experience as Creative Director for multinational corporations such as McCann Erickson, Lintas, and Publicis.
Carmille has been a Licensed Application Instructor and Microsoft Certified Trainer for years. She specializes in web development, business productivity and digital media applications such as SharePoint, Quark and the Adobe Creative Suite as well as numerous programming languages including XML, XHMTL, HTML and CSS.
Carmille is passionate about educating and has a unique talent for making complex design and development principals seem "easy" to students from all levels of expertise. She currently teaches Adobe Graphic and Web Designer, Microsoft Office Specialist, SharePoint End User and the acclaimed Website Development Professional courses at NetCom Learning. Her 20+ years of experience as Creative Director for multinational corporations bring a special and innovative approach to her classes at NetCom Learning.
- Expert in Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Visio, and Access as well as Adobe Graphic and Web Designer (InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Flash Catalyst)
- Holds an A.A.S in Graphic Design as well as various Awards and Affiliations, including MCT, MCP, MCAS, and Office 2007 Master.
- Senior Lead Trainer for over 10 years.
Charles is a Technical Trainer & Instructional Designer for over 10 years. He is a Microsoft Certified Trainer and dedicates himself to Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Visio, and Access. He is also an Adobe specialist and holds a degree in Graphic Design.
Charles is well known for his high evaluation scores, achieving 8.75 out of 9 on a regular basis, teaching in one-on-one, instructor-led, and web-based environments; one of the reasons for his high evaluation is his expertise in increasing personnel performance by developing and implementing programs constructed from the job task analysis process. Charles currently teaches Adobe Graphic and Web Designer, and Microsoft Office Specialist courses at NetCom Learning.
- Over 32 years of experience as well as 18 certifications, including Cisco, CompTIA, and Microsoft.
- Strong background, with web development & design of infrastructure for companies such as AT&T, Sports Illustrated, and Toys R Us.
- Specialist in applying process and finding solutions to solve them in addition to training people in the skills to manage the process and meet goals.
Jayson is a talented and valued Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) with over 32 years of IT experience. Along with web development & design of infrastructure for companies such as AT&T, Sports Illustrated, and Toys R Us, he holds several IT certifications. He is a CCDA, CCNA, Security+ certified, MCDBA, and MCSE to name a few.
Jayson's focus is on finding solutions to problems and applying process to solve them. He instructs professionals in the skills to manage the process and meet goals, which makes him a respected trainer at NetCom Learning.
- Microsoft Office Specialist with over 14 years of training experience.
- Expert in the IT industry, working in the IT field since 1986.
- Highly rated instructor with an all-time average evaluation score of 8.7 out of 9.
Paul is Subject Matter Expert specializing in the Microsoft Office Suite and SharePoint end-user technologies with more than 25 years of practical experience in the IT industry. He is also a Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) with over 14 years of training experience.
A sought-after instructor and eternal favorite among students, his instructor feedback scores are among the industry's highest at 8.7 out of 9.0. As a trainer, his knowledge and passion for the subject matter as well as his personable nature, excellent communications skills and sense of humor are implicit in every class. NetCom Learning is proud to have Paul on our roster of IT geniuses.
- IT specialist for over 30 years and Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) since 1995.
- Microsoft SharePoint expert since 2001.
- Microsoft Lync Server top instructor.
Richard has been an IT professional for over 30 years and a Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) since 1995. He has been working with Microsoft SharePoint since the first version was released in 2001; an accomplished courseware designer he was recently selected by Microsoft to contribute to the official SharePoint 2010 courseware. Richard's boot camp students enjoy unprecedented pass-rates and scores on their certification exams.
Richard's specialties include Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Exchange, Windows 7, SQL Server and Windows Server 2008. His latest passion is Microsoft Lync Server, where he is already distinguishing himself as a leading subject matter expert.
- Team leader for the first undergraduate team to win the Duke Startup Challenge.
- Over 15 years of experience in the IT industry.
- NetCom Learning Instructor of the Year 2011.
Sam Polsky has spent his entire career in entrepreneurial pursuits, including such fields as biotechnology, software development, data management, and business process management. He began in entrepreneurship as team leader for the first undergraduate team to win the Duke Startup Challenge, a business development competition geared towards Duke Universitys various graduate schools.
Sam Polsky has since co-founded a consulting firm where he has been involved in software architecture, development and implementation. On top of that, Sam has been delivering acclaimed solutions in software architecture, development and implementation for over 15 years. He is a much-admired Subject Matter Expert and Trainer at NetCom Learning and was voted NetCom Learning Instructor of the Year 2011
- Specialist in Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, FrontPage, and Access. Microsoft Office Specialist and Microsoft Office Master.
- Degree in Information and Business Technology from South Bank University - United Kingdom.
- Business professional since 1992 and Information Technology instructor since 2003.
Vijayanti has been a business professional for over 20 years and an Information Technology instructor for over 10 years. She is a Microsoft Office Specialist and a Microsoft Office Master with a degree in Information and Business Technology from South Bank University in the UK.
Vijayanti also trained and qualified as an Information and Communications Technology Teacher. She has been working at Netcom Learning as a Software Instructor with an extensive know-how in Microsoft Office Suites.
Jose Marcial Portilla has a BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering from Santa Clara University. He has a great skill set in analyzing data, specifically using Python and a variety of modules and libraries. He hopes to use his experience in teaching and data science to help other people learn the power of the Python programming language and its ability to analyze data, as well as present the data in clear and beautiful visualizations. He is the creator of some of most popular Python Udemy courses including "Learning Python for Data Analysis and Visualization" and "The Complete Python Bootcamp". With almost 30,000 enrollments Jose has been able to teach Python and its Data Science libraries to thousands of students. Jose is also a published author, having recently written "NumPy Succintly" for Syncfusion's series of e-books.
- Steven has 20 years of experience in training areas in the pharmaceutical, financial, consumer products industries, and more.
- As a technologist with a specialty in data and project management, Steve has been responsible for leading development teams from the creation of a product through the entire project life cycle to the sales of the product.
- Steven has worked with both state and federal agencies in creating and deploying
corporate solutions in a variety of areas.
Over the years, Steven has developed and implemented professional development
programs for several Fortune 100 companies. Steven is a consultant on SharePoint Project/Server deployments and is currently involved in providing PMO training in corporate settings.
Steven is an experienced trainer, holding Microsoft Trainer certifications in several areas.
Back to Top
Really enjoyed the instructor. He was knowledgeable, very patient and shared great tips.
- Sabrina E.
» Project 2013 Combo
The instructor did an excellent job!
- Edgar C.
» Project 2010
More testimonials »
Back to Top