SAN Volume Controller (SVC) Planning and Implementation Workshop
This course is designed to leverage SAN storage connectivity by integrating a layer of intelligence or virtualization, the SAN Volume Controller (SVC) to facilitate storage application data access independence from storage management functions and requirements. The focus is on planning and implementation tasks associated with integrating the SVC into the storage area network. It also explains how to:
Centralize storage provisioning to host servers from common storage pools.Facilitate the coexistence and migration of data from non-virtualized to the virtualized environment.Improve storage utilization effectiveness using Thin Provisioning and Real-time Compression.Implement storage tiering and optimize solid state drives (SSDs) or flash systems usage with Easy Tier.Utilize network-level storage subsystem-independent data replication services to satisfy backup and disaster recovery requirements.
- » This intermediate lecture and exercise-based course is for individuals who are assessing and/or planning to deploy networked storage virtualization solutions.
Back to Top
- » Outline the benefit of implementing an SAN Volume Controller (SVC) storage virtualization solution
- » Differentiate between the SVC 2145-DH8 model and the previous generation SVC 2145 models
- » Outline steps required to integrate the SVC system solution
- » Implement zoning policies for device access between the SVC, native disk storage, and host servers
- » Implement the SVC GUI and CLI management operations to configure, monitor, and manage the SVC systems
- » Identify issues related to coexistence between the SVC and native disk storage access across host servers
- » Migrate existing data to the virtualized SVC system environment
- » Implement storage efficiency solutions to maintain data growth, enhance storage performance and reliability
- » Apply advanced system management strategies to provide high availability
- » Employ administrative operations to maintain system ability
Back to Top
- Module: 1
- Introduction to IBM SAN Volume Controller
- SVC hardware architecture
- SVC planning and zoning requirements
- SVC cluster initialization and user authentication
- Exercise 0: Lab environment overview
- Exercise 1: SVC system initialization
- Exercise 2: SVC system configuration
- Exercise 3: Examine back-end storage system
- Module: 2
- SVC storage provisioning
- SVC host access
- Exercise 4: Storage provisioning
- Exercise 5: Access SVC storage from Windows and AIX
- Spectrum Virtualize advanced features
- Exercise 6: Thin Provisioning and Volume Mirroring
- Exercise 7: Storage access and SDD path selection
- Module: 3
- Spectrum Virtualize data migration
- Exercise 8: SVC data migration
- Exercise 9: Migrate existing data: Migration Wizard
- Exercise 10: Migrate existing data with Import Wizard GUI
- Exercise 11: Migrate existing data with Import Wizard CLI
- Spectrum Virtualize Copy Services
- Module: 4
- Exercise 12: SVC scripting and I/O group modification
- Exercise 13: Real-time Compression and the IBM Comprestimator
- SVC administration management
- Exercise 14: SVC FlashCopy and consistency groups
- Exercise 15: Assign user roles and access
- Class Review and Evaluation
Back to Top
We ensure your success by asking all
students to take a FREE Skill Assessment test.
These short, instructor-written tests are an objective measure of your current skills that help us determine whether or not you will be able to meet your goals by attending this course at your current skill level. If we determine that you need additional preparation or training in order to gain the most value from this course, we will recommend cost-effective solutions that you can use to get ready for the course.
Our required skill-assessments ensure that:
- All students in the class are at a comparable skill level, so the class can run smoothly without beginners slowing down the class for everyone else.
- NetCom students enjoy one of the industry's highest success rates, and pass rates when a certification exam is involved.
- We stay committed to providing you real value. Again, your success is paramount; we will register you only if you have the skills to succeed.
This assessment is for your benefit and best taken without any preparation or reference materials, so your skills can be objectively measured.
Take your FREE Skill Assessment test »
Back to Top
Our instructors are passionate at teaching and are experts in their respective fields. Our average NetCom instructor has many, many years of real-world experience and impart their priceless, valuable knowledge to our students every single day.
See our world-class instructors.
Back to Top