SAN Volume Controller (SVC) Planning and Implementation Workshop
Leverage networked storage connectivity by integrating a layer of intelligence - the SAN Volume Controller (SVC) - to facilitate storage application data access independence from storage management functions and requirements. Focus on planning and implementation tasks associated with integrating the SVC into the storage area network. Centralize storage provisioning to host servers from common storage pools. Facilitate the coexistence and migration of data from non-virtualized to the virtualized environment. Utilize network-level storage subsystem-independent data replication services to satisfy backup and disaster recovery requirements. This course offering is at the SVC V6 level.
The course SAN Volume Controller (SVC) Planning and Implementation Workshop (SN830) covers SVC V5.
- » Individuals who are assessing and/or planning to deploy storage network virtualization solutions
Back to Top
- » Create an implementation task list to integrate the SVC solution into the storage network fabric
- » Establish or update zoning policies to enable the SVC to control storage device access and facilitate storage provisioning to host servers
- » Utilize SVC user interfaces to manage the networked storage environment, assign storage to servers, migrate data, replicate data across storage systems, and monitor storage access activities
- » Assess issues related to coexistence between the SVC and native disk storage access across host servers
- » Migrate existing data to the virtualized SVC environment
- » Use interfaces provided by the Subsystem Device Driver (SDD) to monitor and manage SDD multi-path I/O access and path management
- » Implement point-in-time copies across the SVC cluster using FlashCopy GUI presets
Back to Top
- Introducing the SAN Volume Controller
- Storage provisioning with the SAN Volume Controller
- SAN Volume Controller clustering environment
- SVC Cluster Setup and Storage Provisioning
- SVC physical environment and management interfaces
- Storage systems and LUN assignments to SVC
- Cluster creation and storage provisioning
- Additional functions: Quorum disks, expand/shrink volumes, back-end MDisk pathing, SSDs and RAID
- SVC cluster creation
- SVC cluster and GUI/CLI access setup
- Identify back-end storage to the SVC cluster
- Create storage pools
- Create host objects and assign volumes
- Fabric Zoning and iSCSI Connectivity
- Host to SVC volume access infrastructure
- Fibre Channel host to SVC SAN fabric zoning
- iSCSI host to SVC IP Connectivity
- Thin Provisioning and Volume Copy
- Thin provisioned volumes
- Volume Mirroring
- Access storage from Windows and AIX
- Thin provisioning and Volume Mirroring
- Data access and SDD path selection
- Access storage from iSCSI host
- Data Migration
- Pool Migration
- Migration Wizards (Import, Migration, Export)
- MDisk removal
- Storage system replacement
- Copy Services-FlashCopy/Remote Copy
- Metro/Global Mirroring introduction
- Pool migration
- Migration Import Wizard
- FlashCopy and Consistency Groups
- Managing the SVC Environment
- Logging and diagnostics
- Code upgrades and node replacement
- SVC configuration backup
- Expand volume size
- Change volume I/O Group and SVC scripting
- Manage user roles
Back to Top
We ensure your success by asking all
students to take a FREE Skill Assessment test.
These short, instructor-written tests are an objective measure of your current skills that help us determine whether or not you will be able to meet your goals by attending this course at your current skill level. If we determine that you need additional preparation or training in order to gain the most value from this course, we will recommend cost-effective solutions that you can use to get ready for the course.
Our required skill-assessments ensure that:
- All students in the class are at a comparable skill level, so the class can run smoothly without beginners slowing down the class for everyone else.
- NetCom students enjoy one of the industry's highest success rates, and pass rates when a certification exam is involved.
- We stay committed to providing you real value. Again, your success is paramount; we will register you only if you have the skills to succeed.
This assessment is for your benefit and best taken without any preparation or reference materials, so your skills can be objectively measured.
Take your FREE Skill Assessment test »
Back to Top
Our instructors are passionate at teaching and are experts in their respective fields. Our average NetCom instructor has many, many years of real-world experience and impart their priceless, valuable knowledge to our students every single day.
See our world-class instructors.
Back to Top