80339A: Bill of Materials in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012
This two-day instructor-led course provides students with an introduction to the new features and functionality in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012. The purpose of this course is to introduce new features so that participants can learn about the main differences in the software since the last version. This course does not cover functionality that has not changed since the earlier versions of Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012. It assumes course participants have baseline knowledge of the earlier version.
- » This course is intended for partners, customers, and Microsoft team members with moderate to extensive knowledge of Bill of Materials functionality in a Distribution and Trade environment.
Back to Top
- » Introduction to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012.
Back to Top
- » Understand the Bill of Material Creation Process.
- » Explain the concepts of BOMs in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012.
- » Describe the different BOM forms.
- » Describe the standard BOM creation process.
- » Create simple BOMs by using the Bills of Materials form.
- » Create and edit BOMs by using the BOM designer.
- » Describe the concept and purpose of BOM versions.
- » Create BOMs from the Released products list page.
- » Describe how to activate BOM versions.
- » Describe how to copy and change BOM versions.
- » Describe how to use the Bills of Materials form to assign and create BOM versions.
- » Create and edit BOMs by using the BOM designer.
- » Describe and create a quantity dependent BOM.
- » Explain validity dates and sub-BOMs on BOM component lines.
- » Describe the purpose and advantages of BOM and Item configurations.
- » Describe the purpose, use, and setup of configuration groups, routes, and rules.
- » Describe, set up, and use Item configurations.
- » Explain the BOM calculation structure.
- » Describe and set up Cost groups, Profit settings, and Calculation groups.
- » Set up and view costing versions - planned cost and BOM calculations with the Summary and Complete functions.
- » Explain the Calculation for a costing version form.
- » Run and review cost and sales price calculations.
- » Explain BOM calculation Explosion mode and Stop Explosion.
- » Create a sales order by using a configurable BOM.
- » View the BOM structure from a sales order.
- » Explode a BOM from a sales order.
- » Calculate a BOM from a sales order.
- » Describe and set up scrap parameters:
- » Constant and variable scrap on the BOM
- » BOM calculations by using scrap
- » Explain and set up measurement configurations:
- » Consumption calculation
- » Rounding-up
- » Measurement dimensions
- » Conversion factors
- » Perform BOM calculations by using measurements.
- » Explain the purpose of reporting a BOM as finished by using the Max. report as finished form.
- » Access the Report as Finished process, from the following areas:
- » Periodic folder
- » Released products list page
- » BOM journal
- » Describe standard Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 reports:
- » Lines
- » Where-used
- » BOM calculations
- » Describe other BOM functionality:
- » Changing and Checking BOMs
- » Sorting BOM lines
Back to Top
- Module 1: Bill of Materials Overview
- This module provides an overview of the Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 Bill of Materials functionality. This covers general concepts, BOM features and elements, different forms used, and the standard BOM creation process.
- General Concepts
- Using BOMs and Routes in Multisite Production Environments
- BOM Features and Elements
- Bills of Materials Form Overview
- Bill of Material Creation Process
- Module 2: Creating Simple BOMs
- This module explains how to create simple BOMs by using the Bills of materials form, and create and edit simple BOMs by using the BOM designer.
- Using the Bills of Materials Form to Create Simple BOMs
- Working with BOMs in the BOM Designer
- Lab: 2.1
- Create a BOM without a Version
- Lab: 2.2
- Create a BOM in the BOM Designer
- Module 3: Creating BOMs with Versions
- This module explains the concept of version control, and describes how to create BOMs with versions. In addition, this section covers activating, copying, and changing BOM versions, in addition to creating quantity-dependent BOMs and by using other version-related functionality.
- BOM Versions Overview
- Creating BOMs by Using the Released Products List Page
- Activate Multiple BOM Versions
- Copy BOM Versions
- Change BOM Versions
- Create BOMs with Versions in the Bills of Materials Form
- Create BOMs with Versions in the BOM Designer Form
- Quantity Dependent BOMs
- Working with Validity Dates and Sub-BOMs on Component Lines
- Lab: 3.1
- Creating a BOM with a Version from the Released Products List Page
- Lab: 3.2
- Creating a BOM with a Version in the BOM Designer
- Module 4: Working with BOM and Item Configurations
- This module explains the purpose, use, and setup of BOM configurations and Item Configurations. In addition, Configuration groups, Configuration routes, and Configuration rules are discussed.
- Purpose of BOM and Item Configurations
- BOM Configurations
- Item Configurations
- Lab: 4.1
- Create and Use Configuration Groups
- Lab: 4.2
- Create Configuration Routes
- Lab: 4.3
- Create Configuration Rules
- Lab: 4.4
- Add Item Configurations
- Module 5: Working with BOM Calculations
- This module explains the BOM calculation structure used in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012, in addition to the use and set up of Cost groups, Profit settings, Calculation groups, and Costing versions. Running and viewing BOM calculations, including cost and sales price calculations is also addressed. Finally, exclusions to BOM calculations are discussed.
- BOM Calculation
- Cost Groups, Profit Settings, and Calculation Groups
- Cost and Sales Price Calculations
- Lab: 5.1
- Create a Cost Group with Profit Settings
- Lab: 5.2
- Create a Calculation Group
- Lab: 5.3
- Running BOM Calculations and Comparing Results
- Module 6: Sales Orders and BOMs
- This module describes creating a sales order with a configurable BOM, viewing, exploding, and calculating the BOM from a sales order, and transferring calculation prices and quantities to a sales order.
- Configurable BOMs and Sales Orders
- View BOMs in a Sales Order
- Lab: 6.1
- Use Configurable BOMs in a Sales Order
- Lab: 6.2
- BOM Calculations from a Sales Order
- Module 7: Scrap and Measurement
- This module describes the use and setup of constant and variable scrap and BOM calculations by using scrap. The section also covers the use and setup of measurements including consumption calculation, rounding-up, measurement dimensions, conversion factors, and BOM calculations using measurements.
- BOM Scrap
- BOM Measurement
- Lab: 7.1
- Add BOM Scrap and Run Calculations
- Lab: 7.2
- Set Up and Calculate BOM Measurement
- Module 8: Report a BOM as Finished
- This module describes the purpose of reporting a BOM as finished, and explores the methods of accessing the Report as Finished process within Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012.
- Reporting a BOM as Finished
- Lab: 8.1
- Report a BOM as Finished
- Module 9: Reports and Other BOM Functionality
- This module describes the standard BOM reports in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 and other BOM functionality including changing and checking BOMs, and sorting BOM lines.
- Standard BOM Reports
- Other BOM Functionality
- Lab: 9.1
- Change a BOM
- Lab: 9.2
- Run a Manual BOM Check
- Lab: 9.3
- Set Up and Run an Automatic BOM Check
Back to Top
We ensure your success by asking all
students to take a FREE Skill Assessment test.
These short, instructor-written tests are an objective measure of your current skills that help us determine whether or not you will be able to meet your goals by attending this course at your current skill level. If we determine that you need additional preparation or training in order to gain the most value from this course, we will recommend cost-effective solutions that you can use to get ready for the course.
Our required skill-assessments ensure that:
- All students in the class are at a comparable skill level, so the class can run smoothly without beginners slowing down the class for everyone else.
- NetCom students enjoy one of the industry's highest success rates, and pass rates when a certification exam is involved.
- We stay committed to providing you real value. Again, your success is paramount; we will register you only if you have the skills to succeed.
This assessment is for your benefit and best taken without any preparation or reference materials, so your skills can be objectively measured.
Take your FREE Skill Assessment test »
Back to Top
- Expert in Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Visio, and Access as well as Adobe Graphic and Web Designer (InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Flash Catalyst)
- Holds an A.A.S in Graphic Design as well as various Awards and Affiliations, including MCT, MCP, MCAS, and Office 2007 Master.
- Senior Lead Trainer for over 10 years.
Charles is a Technical Trainer & Instructional Designer for over 10 years. He is a Microsoft Certified Trainer and dedicates himself to Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Visio, and Access. He is also an Adobe specialist and holds a degree in Graphic Design.
Charles is well known for his high evaluation scores, achieving 8.75 out of 9 on a regular basis, teaching in one-on-one, instructor-led, and web-based environments; one of the reasons for his high evaluation is his expertise in increasing personnel performance by developing and implementing programs constructed from the job task analysis process. Charles currently teaches Adobe Graphic and Web Designer, and Microsoft Office Specialist courses at NetCom Learning.
David is a hands-on, dynamic and experienced financial systems consultant with successful work history of implementing large scale ERP systems, managing and directly responsible for data migration, financial report validation and customization, end-user training, process documentation and automation.
David has been a trainer for more 21 years.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting and a Masters of Business Administration from Rutgers University.
- Over 9 years of experience as a Master Certified Trainer. Expert in MS Dynamics GP Financials, Installation, HR/Payroll, Project Accounting, Inventory and Integration Manager.
- Project Manager to various MS Dynamics Great Plains implementations.
Ginger holds a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting and a Masters of Business Administration from Rutgers University. Her career started as an Auditor for Deloitte & Touch and over the years she developed her passion for Microsoft Dynamics, implementing Dynamics GP and Project Cost in the Professional Services, Commercial Real Estate and Medical Facilities vertical markets.
Ginger's experience with Microsoft Dynamics is unparalleled. As a Certified Master Dynamics trainer, she stays abreast of the latest Dynamics modules and shares experience with a very hands-on training technique at NetCom Learning.
- Over 25 years of experience working as Senior Financial Analyst and Senior Auditor.
- Professor of Graduate Management and Business School at the University of Phoenix since 2007.
- Microsoft Certifications in Financials, Trade & Logistics, Production and Human Resources Management as well as Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) since 2009.
Lynn is a very accomplished Senior Financial Analyst and Senior Auditor with over 25 years of experience. She has been a Microsoft Certified Trainer since 2009 and a Professor of Graduate Management and Business School at University of Phoenix since 2007. In addition to several other Microsoft certifications, she is also a specialist in Microsoft Dynamics AX.
Lynn has taught several Microsoft Dynamics AX courses at NetCom Learning and is described by her students as very knowledgeable, qualified, and patient with her approach. Her classes are very dynamic and energetic, just as the course per se.
Ramesh holds a Masters Degree in Computer Science with specialization in Information Security and is pursuing his Doctoral degree in IT from the University of South Australia (UniSA). He is a one of a kind trainer - he has been working in the IT field since 1995 and is an expert in C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, Java/J2EE, PL/SQL, VB, ASP, and XML technologies. Ramesh also has extensive experience developing and implementing BizTalk and SharePoint in large corporations, as well as more than 10 years experience working with Oracle and SQL server/Sybase databases.
With more than 19 certifications, Ramesh is an IT guru and trainer with worldwide experience, which includes presentations and trainings across US, Asia, and Middle East. He is a full time instructor at NetCom Learning and we couldn't be happier in having him as one of our Subject Matter Experts.
- Founder and Managing Partner of Guided Technology Inc. which provides Microsoft
consulting expertise and educational services for corporate and government.
- At Guided Technology, Ron was responsible for creating a strategic roadmap for
First Data Corporation.
- At New York City Department of Finance, as Senior Manager & Design Architect,
Ron designed and implemented IBM Servers collecting $15 billion in tax revenue.
Ron has always enjoyed teaching and instructing others, whether in the installation
process of software and hardware upgrades, or as working as the Head of Training
for Valinor, a Microsoft Consulting Partner, where Ron managed the company's
training centers and worked as a Senior Instructor (MCT).
In addition to working in the management level of the business and software
consulting market for over 18 years, Ron also worked as a Surface Warfare Officer
and Weapons Officer in the United States Navy, serving two tours of duty. He served
aboard the USS Tuscaloosa from 1984 -1987, and participated in two Western Pacific
Ron loves basketball and played on Trinity College's varsity basketball team for all
four years of college.
Back to Top