CSX Practitioner (CSXP) Prep Boot Camp
CSX Practitioner Boot Camp is a 5-day, immersive cyber security training course designed to help you build your technical skillset through true hands-on learning. Our Boot Camp is conducted in a live, lab-based network environment – not a simulated environment like other courses. You’ll go through complex cyber security scenarios based on recent, real-world scenarios and be given live incidents to detect and mitigate. You won’t find this level of hands-on experience anywhere else.
Our intensive Boot Camp will help you learn critical cyber security concepts and practice applying up-to-date, industry leading methods. Build more advanced technical cyber security skills in only one week.
Use the Same Tools and Scenarios You’ll Encounter Working in the Real World.
CSX Practitioner Boot Camp features practical, up-to-date instruction and practice using the latest open-source tools, within real-world scenarios. Go back to your job with new knowledge and skills you can put to work day one.
Live lab environment that tell you how to effectively respond to actual live cyber incidents, in line with NIST, ISO and ISA guidelines. And you’ll be able to confidently speak to the unique aspects of network attacks and compromises
The Boot Camp includes a complimentary, 6-month subscription to CSX Practitioner Practice Labs to enable you to practice building and honing your skills with 24/7 access to the same live cyber lab environment used in the course.
CSX Practitioner Boot Camp helps you develop and build the technical cyber security skills necessary to sit for the CSX Practitioner certification exam. Becoming a Certified Cyber Security Practitioner is a testament to your real-life skills and shows employers that you have both the knowledge and the technical ability to walk into an organization and do the job from day one.
Each day in this immersive training covers complex technical skills and concepts in one of five areas aligned to existing global cyber security frameworks:
Identify: Identification, assessment and evaluation of assets, threats and vulnerabilities in both internal and external networks
Protect: Implementation of cyber security controls to protect a system from identified threats
Detect: Detection of network and system incidents, events and compromise indicators, along with assessment of potential damage
Respond: Execution of comprehensive incident response plans and mitigation of cyber incidents
Recover: Recovery from incidents and disasters, including post incident-response documentation and implementation of continuity plans
Each lesson covered in the course is matched with practice labs and tools
Please see the Course Description section for more details on the course.
- » CSX Practitioner Boot Camp is intended for professionals established in the cyber security field — with a minimum of one to five years of experience. You should already be able to demonstrate proficiency in the following areas:
- » Network Scanning
- » Specialized Port Scans
- » Network Topologies
- » Network Log Analysis
- » Centralized Monitoring
- » Hotfix Distribution
- » Vulnerability Scanning
- » Traffic Monitoring
- » Compromise Indicators
- » False Positive Identification
- » Packet Analysis
- » User Account Controls
Back to Top
- Hardware Software Identification and Documentation
- Lab: Preliminary Scanning
- Network Discovery Tools
- Lab: Additional Scanning Options
- Sensitive Information Discovery
- Lab: Sensitive Information Identification
- Vulnerability Assessment Process
- Lab: Vulnerability Scanner Set-up and Configuration
- Patch Upgrade Configure Vulnerability Scanners
- Lab: Vulnerability Scanner Set-up and Configuration, Part 2
- Specific Cyber Controls
- Lab: System Hardening
- Collecting Event Data
- Lab: Firewall Setup and Configuration
- Verifying the Effectiveness of Controls
- Lab: Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer
- Monitoring Controls
- Lab: IDS Setup
- Updating Cyber Security Controls
- Lab: Personal Security Products
- Patch Management
- Lab: Linux Users and Groups
- Verifying Identities and Credentials
- Cyber Security Procedures Standards
- Analyze Network Traffic Using Monitors
- Lab: Using Snort and Wireshark to Analyze Traffic
- Detect Malicious Activity AntiVirus
- Lab: Detect the Introduction and Execution of Malicious Activity
- Assess Available Event Information
- Lab: Analyze and Classify Malware
- Baselines for Anomaly Detection
- Lab: Windows Event Log Manipulation via Windows Event Viewer
- Initial Attack Analysis
- Lab: Host Data Integrity Baselining
- Incident Escalation Reporting
- Lab: Performing Network Packet Analysis
- Change Implementation Escalation
- Defined Response Plan Execution
- Lab: Incident Detection and Identification
- Network Isolation
- Lab: Remove Trojan
- Disable User Accounts
- Lab: Block Incoming Traffic on Known Port
- Blocking Traffic
- Lab: Implement Single System Changes in Firewall
- Lab: Conduct Supplemental Monitoring
- Incident Report
- Lab: Create Custom Snort Rules
- Industry Best Practices
- Lab: Comprehensive Lab Response
- Disaster Recovery and BC Plans
- Lab: Patches and Updates
- Cyber System Restoration
- Lab: Data Backup and Recovery
- Data Backup and Restoration Key Concepts
- Lab: Recovering Data and Data Integrity Checks
- Actualizing Data Backups and Recovery
- Post Incident Service Restoration
- Implementing Patches and Updates
- Ensuring Data Integrity
- Post-Incident Review
Back to Top
- » The award-winning CSX Practitioner Certification, along with training, enable you to build, test and showcase your ability to be an in-demand cyber security first responder.
- » Validate your technical cyber security skills and ability to serve as a cyber security first responder. The performance-based CSX Practitioner Certification affirms your abilities to perform in this globally in-demand role from day one as a cyber professional
- » This designation affirms that you have firewall, patching and anti-virus experience and can implement common security controls, perform vulnerability scans and some analysis.
Back to Top
We ensure your success by asking all
students to take a FREE Skill Assessment test.
These short, instructor-written tests are an objective measure of your current skills that help us determine whether or not you will be able to meet your goals by attending this course at your current skill level. If we determine that you need additional preparation or training in order to gain the most value from this course, we will recommend cost-effective solutions that you can use to get ready for the course.
Our required skill-assessments ensure that:
- All students in the class are at a comparable skill level, so the class can run smoothly without beginners slowing down the class for everyone else.
- NetCom students enjoy one of the industry's highest success rates, and pass rates when a certification exam is involved.
- We stay committed to providing you real value. Again, your success is paramount; we will register you only if you have the skills to succeed.
This assessment is for your benefit and best taken without any preparation or reference materials, so your skills can be objectively measured.
Take your FREE Skill Assessment test »
Back to Top
- Academic and corporate trainer with over 2000 hours of instruction delivered on security awareness, CISSP, Security+, Safety, core Microsoft courses, MS Exchange and MS ISA server.
- Conducted over 200 security reviews in support of financial audits, policy reviews and network vulnerability assessments.
- Bachelors Degree in Security Management with a Concentration in Information Security from American Military University along with CISSP, CAP and several CompTIA, Microsoft, ISACA certifications.
Donald is a security professional with a wide range of experience from physical security to a concentration in information security. He is the Information Systems & Security Director for a consulting firm. His clients include local municipalities, non-profits, corporations and federal government agencies, specializing in a wide array of compliance programs and security assessments such as PCI DSS, FISMA, COBIT and ISO17799.
Donald is also a trainer and speaker on security topics and has served on various advisory committees and as a subject matter expert in information technology and security. He has over 15 years of experience in the security field as well as more than 2000 hours of instruction delivered on security awareness, CISSP, Security+, Safety, core Microsoft courses and MS ISA server. In addition to that, Donald is the President and Chairmen for the Brentwood Veterans Memorial Building and Commandant for the Delta Diablo Det. 1155 Marine Corps League.
- Over 32 years of experience as well as 18 certifications, including Cisco, CompTIA, and Microsoft.
- Strong background, with web development & design of infrastructure for companies such as AT&T, Sports Illustrated, and Toys R Us.
- Specialist in applying process and finding solutions to solve them in addition to training people in the skills to manage the process and meet goals.
Jayson is a talented and valued Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) with over 32 years of IT experience. Along with web development & design of infrastructure for companies such as AT&T, Sports Illustrated, and Toys R Us, he holds several IT certifications. He is a CCDA, CCNA, Security+ certified, MCDBA, and MCSE to name a few.
Jayson's focus is on finding solutions to problems and applying process to solve them. He instructs professionals in the skills to manage the process and meet goals, which makes him a respected trainer at NetCom Learning.
- More than 14 years of experience as a Security Subject Matter Expert as well as black belt in a variety of martial arts.
- Numerous Challenge Coins from the US Government including the US Army, and the Criminal Investigation Command.
- Much acclaimed instructor at NetCom Learning, with evaluation scores of 8.8 out of 9.
Larry is a unique instructor and IT security expert. If you sit in one of his classes you might get the feeling of being in a martial arts class - That's exactly how Larry wants it! "The principles behind IT security are the same as those in a variety of martial arts," Larry says. In addition to teaching IT security for over 14 years, he has practiced martial arts since he was 13 years old and holds black belts in multiple disciplines including Tai Chi, Kung Fu, and Kick Boxing. "All of these techniques are like tools for different types of attacks," Larry explains.
Larry's excellence in certification training and passion for IT security has earned him numerous Challenge Coins from the US Government including the US Army, and the Criminal Investigation Command. He is also a much acclaimed instructor at NetCom Learning, with evaluation scores of 8.8 out of 9.
Back to Top