About the Mobile Development Professional
NetCom's two week Mobile Development Professional is an intensive hands-on instructor led approach to developing mobile applications for both Android programming and iPhone programming. The class also includes creating sample applications from scratch for both Android and iPhone classes for a 360 degree hands-on experience.
Android Programming - Week 1 (7 days):
The Android platform is the fastest growing mobile development platform in the world. With Android phones being produced by all of the major phone manufacturers, and the addition of new tablet devices, the platform will only continue to grow. NetCom's 7-day Android Programming course will teach application development for the Android Development using the Java Programming Language and the Eclipse Development Environment. The first day will be devoted towards covering Object Oriented Java, which is the backbone of our Android Development course.
iPhone/iPad Programming - Week 2 (7 days):
In this course participants will learn to create applications for the popular Apple iPhone. This class first reviews the Objective C programming language and then discusses the important primary skills used by iPhone programmers. By the end of this course, participants will be able to create full iPhone applications that make use of the iPhone OS including the built in camera, geolocation and the accelerometer. The first day will be devoted towards covering Objective C, laying down the foundation for our iPhone Development course.
* Students are expected to bring their own Apple laptops or Mac Mini for the iPhone programming class
* Intel Based Mac with OSX 10.7 or better operating system installed
* Everyone needs the latest XCode installed which is available from the Appstore. XCode must be installed before class begins.
* Students should have basic programming background for the iPhone class.
* An Apple Developer's license is a desired requirement, which can be obtained by following instructions at http://developer.apple.com/programs/register/.
This training combines and covers materials from the following courses:
Android Programming with Java Basics (7 days)
- Learn the basics of Android.
- Understand the application lifecycle.
- Write simple GUI applications.
- Use built-in widgets and components.
- Work with the database to store data locally.
- Build your own Android apps
- Explain the differences between Android and other mobile development environments
- Understand how Android applications work, their life cycle, manifest, Intents, and using external resources
- Design and develop useful Android applications with compelling user interfaces by using, extending, and creating your own layouts and Views and using Menus.
- Take advantage of Android's APIs for data storage, retrieval, user preferences, files, databases, and content providers
- Tap into location-based services, geocoder, compass sensors, and create rich map-based applications
- Utilize the power of background services, threads, and notifications.
- Use Android's communication APIs for SMS, telephony, network management, and internet resources (HTTP).
- Secure, tune, package, and deploy Android applications
- Creating Basic Java Applications
- Creating Applications in Packages
- Java Variables
- Java Conditionals and Loops
- Java Arrays
- Java Array Lists
- Java Object Oriented Concepts Review*
- Creating a Java Class
- Improving the Java Class
- Using Inheritance
- Understanding Interfaces
- The Static Context
- Creating Your First Android Applications
- The Hello World Application
- Working with the Emulator
- Introducing the Manifest
- Understanding the Activity Lifecycle
- Creating Listeners
- Listeners Using an inner class
- Listeners Using an interface
- Listeners By Variable Name
- Long Clicks
- Keyboard Listeners
- Understanding Android View Containers
- Linear Layout
- Relative Layout
- Table Layout
- List View
- Android Widgets Part I
- Custom Buttons
- Toggle Buttons
- Checkboxes and Radio Buttons
- Android Widgets Part II
- Autocomplete Text Box
- Map View
- Web Views
- Time and Date Pickers
- Communicating Between Activities
- Switching Activities
- Putting Extra
- Using Shared Preferences
- Storing Information on the Device
- Internal Storage
- External Storage
- Web Communication and Storage
- Audio and Video
- Playing Audio with the MediaPlayer
- More Audio Options
- Playing Video with the MediaPlayer
- Recording and Storing Audio Content
- Custom List Views
- List Activities with Custom Layouts
- List Activities with Custom Adapters
- Displaying multiple items in a List View
- Integrating Web Services
- Text Based Web Services
- Sending data to a Web Services
- Integrating a JSON based web service
- Creating Home Screen Widgets
- Creating the Widget Background
- Placing and Updating the Widget
- Events on the Widget
- Drawing and Animation
- The Android Drawing API
- Animation with XML
- Programatic Animation
- Determining Location
- Integrating Google Maps
- Camera Hardware
- Taking Pictures and Saving in the Album
- Recording Video Content
iPhone / iPad Programming with Objective C Basics (7 days)
- To be familiar with Objective-C.
- To understand Model-View-Controller architecture.
- To be familiar with Xcode, Instruments and Interface Builder.
- To be familiar with Cocoa Touch Library.
- To understand multi touch programming.
- To be familiar with the various pieces if iOS.
- Create sample iPhone and iPad apps that do animation and respond to various acceleration events.
- Interface apps with the Google maps server.
- Interfaces apps with a SQLlite Database.
- Interface apps with the Game Center.
- Interface apps with iAd server.
- Create apps that support both Portrait and Landscape modes.
- Create a User Control.
- Be familiar with UITableView class.
Do you have the right background for Mobile Development Professional?
We ensure your success by asking all students to take a FREE Skill Assessment test. These short, instructor-written tests are an objective measure of your current skills that help us determine whether or not you will be able to meet your goals by attending this course at your current skill level. If we determine that you need additional preparation or training in order to gain the most value from this course, we will tell you so right away. We will also recommend cost-effective solutions that you can use to get ready for the course.
Our required skill-assessments ensure that:
- All students in the class are at a comparable skill level, so the class can run smoothly without beginners slowing down the class for everyone else.
- NetCom students enjoy one of the industry's highest success rates, and pass rates when a certification exam is involved.
- We stay committed to providing you real value. Again, your success is paramount; we will register you only if you have the skills to succeed.
This assessment is for your benefit and best taken without any preparation or reference materials, so your skills can be objectively measured.
Take your FREE Skill Assessment test now.
Individuals who're new to iPhone/iPad development with some basic knowledge and want to sharpen their skills. It is recommended that individuals have some programming background.
Benefit of taking Mobile Development Professional at NetCom
Why Choose Apple Training at NetCom Learning?
As a recognition for training excellence, NetCom Learning was chosen by Microsoft as the 2007 Worldwide Learning Solutions Partner of the year out of 1400 training companies.
In addition, we have won numerous other training awards for quality and customer satisfaction by CompTIA, EC-Council and other vendors. We are simply passionate about learning and achieving the highest customer satisfaction in your learning experience!
NetCom provides Authorized Training
NetCom Learning is a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner for Learning Solutions (CPLS), Cisco Learning Partner, CompTIA Platinum Partner, EC-Council Accredited Training Center, Adobe Authorized Training Center, Autodesk Authorized Training Center and many others. We are proud to offer the highest quality, authorized training solutions from our many partners for our customers.
See our comprehensive list of partner authorizations.
Award winning, world-class Instructors
- Experience teaching beginner to advanced software engineering and development classes
- Architectured NetCom Learning's Mobile Development Professional training package (Android & iPhone)
- Acclaimed instructor at NetCom Learning, with evaluation score of 8.7 out of 9.
Mark is an accomplished web and mobile development trainer and Subject Matter Expert. He has been teaching beginner to advanced software engineering and development classes since 2005. With an extensive background in corporate programming he easily understands the impact of new technologies and the knowledge developers need to succeed.
Most recently Mark architectured NetCom Learning's Mobile Development Professional training package (Android & iPhone) to much critical acclaim. Mark's passion and aptitude for the subject matter is abundant, and clearly evident in his near-perfect post-class evaluation scores (8.7 out of 9) and praise from clients.
- Team leader for the first undergraduate team to win the Duke Startup Challenge.
- Over 15 years of experience in the IT industry.
- NetCom Learning Instructor of the Year 2011.
Sam Polsky has spent his entire career in entrepreneurial pursuits, including such fields as biotechnology, software development, data management, and business process management. He began in entrepreneurship as team leader for the first undergraduate team to win the Duke Startup Challenge, a business development competition geared towards Duke University�s various graduate schools.
Sam Polsky has since co-founded a consulting firm where he has been involved in software architecture, development and implementation. On top of that, Sam has been delivering acclaimed solutions in software architecture, development and implementation for over 15 years. He is a much-admired Subject Matter Expert and Trainer at NetCom Learning and was voted NetCom Learning Instructor of the Year 2011
Actual Client Testimonials
||Mar 18 2013
|I was recently a student in the Java boot camp class. I would just like to say that my instructor for that course was one of the best that I''ve ever encountered at your facility - Arthur Gober. I've been a student of at least a dozen classes at NetCom and he is by far one of my favorites now. He was very methodical in the way he taught; he always ensured that I never fell behind in the material; he gave me a great foundation on which to build on in regards to Java programming. He actually inspired me to become a better programmer and for that I will always be grateful.
- Kevin W.
||Feb 24 2013
|Instructor (Jeff Mullen) was great- very knowledgeable and friendly.
NetCom Learning was great to work with!
- Jennifer S.
||Feb 15 2013
|I've been a student at NetCom Learning for over 10 years now and I have enjoyed every class I''ve ever taken there. The classes are small which I find to be beneficial (5-10 students) and the instructors are always very knowledgeable in regards to the material they are teaching.
The receptionists at NetCom are always friendly and helpful. The classroom environment is user friendly. The instructors are knowledgeable and helpful. There is a testing center in the facility which is extremely convenient. I can honestly say, I can''t think of anything I would change at NetCom. I am proud to be a student there.
- Kevin W.
||Oct 01 2012
|Comprehensive learning environment. Small class size helped the transfer of knowledge happen easier.
- Bryan B.
||Oct 10 2011
|Training was great and it helped me gain some real practice knowledge for Android Development.
||Jun 29 2011
|The NetCom staff worked with me to ensure the training I desired fit into my schedule. In doing so, I received a great deal of personal attention.
- Mobile Development Professional
Real world Client Case Studies
|Apple Application Development Training Saves Company's Cost|
|Published On: 19 March 2013|
|Customer: Jason Uhazie|
|Location: New York, NY, US|
||The client, an IT professional, had developed an internal web based solution for his employer, a radiology group, which now wanted to have an iPhone application created to work with the web product. In order to create the iPhone app the client would need to gain training in iPhone/iPad programming. The clients employer wanted to have the iPhone app completed as soon as possible so that there was also a time limit to find a training company with the right classes.|
||The client identified NetCom Learning through an Internet search looking for training companies that offered classes specifically in iPhone application development. He spoke with a NetCom Learning Consultant who provided him with information on what NetCom Learning had to offer and how the training would be of benefit to him as an IT professional and to his employer. |
Download and view Case Study in PDF format
iPhone / iPad Programming with Objective C Basics
Mobile Development Professional
||The client stated that he knew as soon as he learned about the coursework that it was going to be the right choice for both him and his company. He stated that as soon as he returned from the training he had accumulated such as wealth of knowledge of the iPhone application development tools that he was able to accomplish the required iPhone app within the first week after training. The average cost of creating an application is estimated at $10,000, so that the training more than paid for itself in the first week after the client received the training. The client estimates that the training saved his company more than $7,000 in just the one application that he created. Now that he has learned how to do the work himself including all the bells and whistles he feels he will be able to create many more useful applications for the iPhone and iPad for his company with his new knowledge, saving his company both time and cost.|
Awards won by NetCom
NetCom Learning is an award winning, customer focused company. We are simply Passionate About Learning!
See our list of awards.
Specialized Boot Camp Training
This training is also available as a boot camp. NetCom is world famous for delivering specialized boot camp training to our clients.
For answers to questions regarding our boot camp training delivery format, please refer to our Boot Camp FAQ section.
Next Step, how do I attend the Mobile Development Professional?
Take this training with one of the following training delivery methods below:
NetCom’s classroom training ensures that you have state-of-the-art tools, techniques and practices you need to succeed on the job. Our instructors are active practitioners and true masters in their fields. With convenient classes at multiple learning centers across the US, you never have to go far to get ahead.
Live Online Training (LOT)
NetCom’s premium Live Online Training (we call it LOT) is the ultimate in convenience and cost-effectiveness. LOT combines interactive video instruction via the latest web conference technology, and post-class access to learning labs for a best-in-class learning experience.Learn more about LOT
Boot Camp Training
NetCom’s intensive boot camps are designed to advance your skills in the shortest possible amount of time and get you certified. Boot camps go at a faster pace and often run for longer days, so you must have some level of subject matter experience before enrolling. Boot camps have mandatory assessment tests to ensure no one will slow down the class for other students. Learn more about Boot Camps
Private Onsite Training
With NetCom’s private training programs, you decide where and when courses are held. Tailor the training to reflect your industry, corporate culture, goals and schedule. You pick the course content, length of training and instructional technique. Save money by doing bulk customized training.Learn more about Private Onsite Training
Private 1-on-1 Training
NetCom’s private 1-on-1 training focuses on the highest quality training possible. You get individualized, full attention from the instructor and you decide where and when courses are held. The training is custom tailored to reflect your industry, corporate culture, goals and schedule. You pick the course content, length of training and instructional technique.Learn more about Private 1-on-1 Training
Duration: 14 days (126 hours)
||classes are guaranteed to run.
For a customized version of this class, please contact us
or call 1-888-563-8266.
Need course pricing?
Need more information?
Worried about financing?