About the VMware vSphere 5 Boot Camp
In our VMware vSphere 5 Boot Camp we present Cloud Computing (A.K.A. "virtualization") in a logical, easy-to-absorb format. Each participant builds and manages their own complete VMware vSphere 5 environment including ESXi 5, vCenter 5, SAN Storage, Virtual Machines, Virtual Appliances, Backup and more.
What makes our approach so unique is that every participant builds an actual datacenter environment on real servers, from beginning to end. Most importantly, we use the same procedures, in the same order as they would be implemented in your own datacenter! That means that our Step-by-Step Labs (SBS LABS) are sure to become lasting reference materials and a clear, real-world roadmap for the design, implementation and management of VMware vSphere 5 including:
What's New in VMware vSphere 5
Planning and Design for VMware vSphere 5
Implementation with ESXi 5 and vCenter 5
VMware vSphere 5 Management
Virtualize Business-Critical workloads with VMware vSphere 5
Cloud Control - "Own your cloud and manage it too!"
Backup and Remediation VMware vSphere - 5
VMware vSphere 5 Integrations, Tools and Third Party
Our VMware vSphere 5 Boot Camp is the most comprehensive class we offer. In 50-hours of classroom instruction, each participant will gain a comprehensive understanding of Public, Private, and Hybrid Cloud Computing with VMware vSphere 5. This course covers all the bases plus advanced management and emphasizes real world and Best Practice techniques and integrations for maintaining a production VMware vSphere environment. This class is fully compatible with both vSphere 4 and vSphere 5!
All Labs will be done using our state-of-the-art VMware Hardware Compatibility List servers. Participants will learn not only vSphere management, but also real-world integrations and datacenter management scenarios which go far beyond the scope of other training programs.
The VMware vSphere 5 Boot Camp features over 60 interactive Step-By-Step Labs (SBS LAB), complete with detailed instructions, full-color documentation and screenshots of all steps. The book alone is sure to become one of the most valued reference materials in your library.
Get more information on the CVDX Certification exam here: CVDX Exam Blueprint
This training combines and covers materials from the following courses:
VMware vSphere 5 Boot Camp (5 days)
- Install and configure ESXi, vCenter Server, vStorage API and VMware Data Protection
- Manage ESXi hypervisor security, firewall, SSH access and Active Directory
- Create and manage Virtual Machines and Appliances
- Connect to SAN Storage, manage storage paths, create VMFS Volumes
- Manage virtual networking including multiple NIC's, Load Balancing and Fail-over
- Configure Jumbo Frames the right way for iSCSI
- Use vNetwork Distributed Switches
- Configure Roles, Privileges and Permissions
- Use Host Profiles
- Monitor Tasks, Events and Alarms
- Perform migrations (P2V, V2V, V2P) both "hot" and "cold"
- Configure ESX Server Clusters
- Implement vMotion and Distributed Resource Scheduling
- Implement High Availability
- Implement and use Distributed Power Management
- Manage resources with Resource Pools
- Install and use the VMware vCenter Update Manager (VUM) to patch ESXi 5 hosts and Virtual Machines
- Backup VM's using VMware the vStorage API
- Utilize and integrate 3rd Party Tools into the datacenter environment
- Command line management of ESXi Servers using the Technical Support Mode and Remote Command Line interfaces
- Install and use the vSphere Management Assistant (vMA)
- Monitor performance using advanced tools and commands
- Introduction and Overview
- Cloud Computing and Virtualization
- Public, Private and Hybrid Clouds
- Virtualization defined
- What's in it for me?
- What is a hypervisor?
- VMware vSphere™
- What is VMware vSphere™?
- VMware vSphere™ Components
- What's new in VMware vSphere™ 5
- Preparing to deploy VMware vSphere™
- Server Hardware Configuration
- Install ESXi (VMware vSphere™ Hypervisor)
- ESX hypervisor security, user authentication
- User accounts
- The VMware vSphere™ Client
- Time In a VMware vSphere™ Environment
- SBS LAB - Configure NTP on ESX with an External Stratum 1 time source
- ESXi and Active Directory
- Directory-based authentication, Default user Groups
- Virtual Machines
- Virtual Machine Concepts
- Student's choice VM
- Virtual Machine Files
- Modifying Virtual Machines, Prepare VM for Production
- Virtual Machine Resource Allocation
- Memory Management, Transparent Page Sharing, and Memory Ballooning
- ESX Memory Swapping
- Virtual Networking
- Standard vSwitch Properties
- Port Groups (Connection Types)
- Uplinks (Physical NIC's)
- Super vSwitch Concept
- Network Diagnostics and Recovery
- ESX Server SAN Storage and Multipathing
- The VMFS filesystem
- iSCSI SAN
- VMFS 3 and VMFS 5
- Operating System Migration (P2V, V2V, V2P, P2P)
- vCenter Server
- vCenter Server Services
- vCenter Requirements
- vCenter Required Components
- vCenter Required Ports
- Preparing for a vCenter Server Installation
- The vCenter Database
- vCenter Management
- 1. Initial Configuration
- Tasks Events and Alarms
- Host Profiles
- vCenter Permissions
- Templates and Clones
- The VMware Update Manager
- Performance Charts and Monitoring
- Charts, Options and Counters
- Using vCenter Performance Charts
- vMotion and Storage vMotion
- vMotion requirements
- vCenter Clustering
- Reasons for Clustering
- Types of VMware vSphere™ Clusters
- Resource Pools
- VMware High Availability
- Distributed Power Management (DPM)
- DPM Requirements and Considerations
- Backup Techniques for a Virtualized Datacenter
- VMware vStorage API
- Tools and Integrations for a Virtualized Datacenter
- Disk Partitioning
- Management Monitoring and Reporting Tools
- Using the Remote Command Line to manage ESXi
- A summary of Remote Commands
- Considerations for Remote Command Line management
- vNetwork Distributed Switch
- Versions and use cases
This training prepares students for the following exams:
- CVDX : Certified Virtualized Datacenter eXpert (CVDX)
Why You Should Take the VMware vSphere 5 Boot Camp
Benefits of Certification
For IT professionals, certification is a third party validation of your skills, that helps distinguish you from your peers. Beyond demonstrating a level of competency and proficiency, certification proves that you are committed to your cause and that you've invested the time and money to prove it. Holding a certification also makes you a more valuable employee, and often results in raises, promotions, and a better career.
For organizations, certifications identify the credentials that can be used to hire the right employee. Having certified employees also increases sales for the organization by proving to prospective clients that the organization has the skills to support its claims.
For the ultimate and complete, all inclusive learning experience, please see our Las Vegas Boot Camp Experience.
- Instructor-led Training -- Learn from an expert instructor. Our expert instructors are themselves certified and have years of experience in the real world as well as in teaching. A large majority of our instructors are part-time consultants and provide solutions to a wide variety of companies.
- High Quality Courseware -- Learn using the best courseware -- directly from VM sources.
- All inclusive, no hassle pricing -- The Boot Camps offer an all inclusive package that helps you learn and understand the concepts, prepare for and take the exams. You focus on learning, while we take care of other details. Please ask us for details on location specific amenities.
- Test Vouchers -- The boot camp includes exam voucher at no additional cost.
- Refreshments -- Snacks, freshly-brewed coffee, tea and water are available throughout the day at the training site. Our training facilities are located within walking distance of several eateries and restaurants, offering students the opportunity to satisfy their own tastes and dietary requirements. Click here for all of our Las Vegas amenities.
- Skills Assessment -- The only boot camp that makes sure all the students have the correct prerequisites.
- Five days of complete-immersion and distraction-free training -- Includes 50 hours of lectures, hands on labs, topic reviews, test preparation and testing.
- Testing at Training Site -- Convenience is the key. You don't have to find and schedule your test with an authorized testing center. NetCom is an authorized testing center and you can take the test as soon as you are ready. This feature may not be available at all locations. Please confirm with us if the location you selected has testing available.
- Travel Package Assistance (Hotel and/or Air) -- NetCom offers a travel package featuring round trip airfare to Las Vegas and deluxe accommodations at the Desert Rose, where our state-of-the-art, custom built classrooms are located.
- Click here for additional information on NetCom's Las Vegas Boot Camp Experience
Do you have the right background for VMware vSphere 5 Boot Camp?
We ensure your success by asking all students to take a FREE Skill Assessment test. These short, instructor-written tests are an objective measure of your current skills that help us determine whether or not you will be able to meet your goals by attending this course at your current skill level. If we determine that you need additional preparation or training in order to gain the most value from this course, we will tell you so right away. We will also recommend cost-effective solutions that you can use to get ready for the course.
Our required skill-assessments ensure that:
- All students in the class are at a comparable skill level, so the class can run smoothly without beginners slowing down the class for everyone else.
- NetCom students enjoy one of the industry's highest success rates, and pass rates when a certification exam is involved.
- We stay committed to providing you real value. Again, your success is paramount; we will register you only if you have the skills to succeed.
This assessment is for your benefit and best taken without any preparation or reference materials, so your skills can be objectively measured.
Take your FREE Skill Assessment test now.
The VMware vSphere™ 5 Transitional Boot Camp is intended for IT professionals with familiarity with Windows Server and TCP/IP Networking as well as Windows or Linux Command Line use.
Benefit of taking VMware vSphere 5 Boot Camp at NetCom
Why Choose VMsources Training at NetCom Learning?
As a recognition for training excellence, NetCom Learning was chosen by Microsoft as the 2007 Worldwide Learning Solutions Partner of the year out of 1400 training companies.
In addition, we have won numerous other training awards for quality and customer satisfaction by CompTIA, EC-Council and other vendors. We are simply passionate about learning and achieving the highest customer satisfaction in your learning experience!
NetCom provides Authorized Training
NetCom Learning is a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner for Learning Solutions (CPLS), Cisco Learning Partner, CompTIA Platinum Partner, EC-Council Accredited Training Center, Adobe Authorized Training Center, Autodesk Authorized Training Center and many others. We are proud to offer the highest quality, authorized training solutions from our many partners for our customers.
See our comprehensive list of partner authorizations.
Award winning, world-class Instructors
John has been an information technology professional for nearly 20 years, utilizing Windows and Linux/UNIX operating environments. For the last seven years, John has focused on Virtualization utilizing a number of platforms, specializing in VMware Virtualization with ESX Server, vCenter and VMware Consolidated Backup.
He has traveled all over the North America working with numerous Fortune 500 companies and government agencies on implementations of VMware Infrastructure/vSphere. With more than 135 successful installations, John has gained experience with a wide variety of environments including all the major hardware vendors and storage providers.
In his work with clients like Siemens, Boeing, Aramark, the State of Connecticut and the City of New York, John has been instrumental in the creation of documentation, training materials, chargeback procedures for the virtual environment, and proof-of-concept analysis. Materials and documentation which John has created are currently being utilized by, literally, hundreds of clients all over the world!
In addition to working with clients on their VMware environments directly, John has also assisted numerous clients pre-virtualization in determining the appropriate path, potential ROI and cost benefit analysis of a VMware virtual environment as compared with physical servers. John understands not only the technical aspects of virtualization but the improved management and Service Agility intrinsic to any virtual environment. His ability to explain that environment in technical and non-technical terms as well has led to successful VMware Infrastructure implementations all over the United States.
John Presently holds the following VMware Certifications:
VCP3, VCP4 #45078
Actual Client Testimonials
||May 04 2013
|Great instructor, he has great knowledge and real world experience.
- Wilbur D.
||May 04 2013
|The instructor, John Borhek, really educated me lots of practical experience besides courseware. So excited to have him teach.
- Kuo-Liang L.
||Apr 01 2013
|I would recommend NetCom Learning because the training is first class. The material is explained thoroughly with real world scenarios as well. The instructors are currently in the field so they are speaking from current experience.
- Jay C.
||Mar 20 2013
|It was a great class and because I learned a lot from the teacher. Best class i have ever been to!
- Christopher P
||Feb 07 2013
|Great instructor (John Borhek) and the pace of the class is great especially for a boot camp learning experience.
- Seferino M.
||Nov 02 2012
|I am very impressed with the training. In spite of the inclement weather, the instructor was able to provide responsive and very detailed training remotely. Very good course and learned many lessons that can be applied in the real world.
- Steven H.
Awards won by NetCom
NetCom Learning is an award winning, customer focused company. We are simply Passionate About Learning!
See our list of awards.
Specialized Boot Camp Training
This training is also available as a boot camp. NetCom is world famous for delivering specialized boot camp training to our clients.
For answers to questions regarding our boot camp training delivery format, please refer to our Boot Camp FAQ section.
Next Step, how do I attend the VMware vSphere 5 Boot Camp?
Take this training with one of the following training delivery methods below:
NetCom’s classroom training ensures that you have state-of-the-art tools, techniques and practices you need to succeed on the job. Our instructors are active practitioners and true masters in their fields. With convenient classes at multiple learning centers across the US, you never have to go far to get ahead.
Live Online Training (LOT)
NetCom’s premium Live Online Training (we call it LOT) is the ultimate in convenience and cost-effectiveness. LOT combines interactive video instruction via the latest web conference technology, and post-class access to learning labs for a best-in-class learning experience.Learn more about LOT
Boot Camp Training
NetCom’s intensive boot camps are designed to advance your skills in the shortest possible amount of time and get you certified. Boot camps go at a faster pace and often run for longer days, so you must have some level of subject matter experience before enrolling. Boot camps have mandatory assessment tests to ensure no one will slow down the class for other students. Learn more about Boot Camps
Private Onsite Training
With NetCom’s private training programs, you decide where and when courses are held. Tailor the training to reflect your industry, corporate culture, goals and schedule. You pick the course content, length of training and instructional technique. Save money by doing bulk customized training.Learn more about Private Onsite Training
Private 1-on-1 Training
NetCom’s private 1-on-1 training focuses on the highest quality training possible. You get individualized, full attention from the instructor and you decide where and when courses are held. The training is custom tailored to reflect your industry, corporate culture, goals and schedule. You pick the course content, length of training and instructional technique.Learn more about Private 1-on-1 Training
Duration: 5 days (50 hours)
||classes are guaranteed to run.
For a customized version of this class, please contact us
or call 1-888-563-8266.
Need course pricing?
Need more information?
Worried about financing?