About the CAP: Certified Authorization Professional
The Certified Authorization Professional (CAP) credential is an objective measure of the knowledge, skills and abilities required for personnel involved in the process of authorizing and maintaining information systems. Specifically, this credential applies to those responsible for formalizing processes used to assess risk and establish security requirements and documentation. Their decisions will ensure that information systems possess security commensurate with the level of exposure to potential risk, as well as damage to assets or individuals.
This course prepares the student for CAP (Certified Authorization Professional) formerly the Certification and Accreditation Professional exam. In addition, this course teaches students the skills and knowledge concerning the Risk Management Framework (RMF) as defined by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in support of Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA).
This training combines and covers materials from the following courses:
CAP: Certified Authorization Professional (3 days)
- The risk management approach to security authorization
- The risk management framework steps
- Roles and responsibilities related to the risk management framework
- The relationship between RMF and SDLC
- The legal regulatory and other requirements for security authorization
- Common controls and security control inheritance
- Ongoing monitoring strategies
- The categorization of the system
- Information systems security boundaries
- Selecting and documenting security controls
- How to develop a security control monitoring strategy
- The need for review and approval of the system security plan
- How to implement selective security controls and document the implementation
- How to prepare for security control assessment
- How to establish a security control assessment plan
- How to determine the security control effectiveness
- How to develop the initial security assessment report
- The need for remediation actions
- How to develop a plan of actions and milestones
- The needed documentation for security authorization package
- Acceptable risk
- The impact of changes to systems and environments
- The need to perform ongoing security control assessments
- The need for conduct ongoing remediation actions
- Updating the documentation understand the need to perform periodic security status reports
- The need and perform ongoing risk determination acceptance
- Issues related to decommissioning or removing a system
- (ISC)2 CAP Certification
- Building a Successful Program
- RMF Roles and Responsibilities
- The RMF Life Cycle
- Why RMF Programs Fail or Lack Efficiency
- RMF Project Planning
- System Categorization and Definition
- Security Categorization
- Information Systems Boundaries
- Security Control Selection and Documentation
- Minimum Security Baselines and Best Practices
- System Security Plan (SSP)
- Control Implementation
- Prioritized Approach
- Configuration Management
- Security Procedures
- Coordinating Security for Interconnected Systems
- Assessing Security Controls
- Remediation Planning
- Essential RMF Documentation
- Assessing Risk
- Documenting the Authorization Decision
- Continuous Monitoring
- Contingency Planning
- Security Awareness
- Exam Preparation
Why You Should Take the CAP: Certified Authorization Professional
Benefits of Certification
For IT professionals, certification is a third party validation of your skills, that helps distinguish you from your peers. Beyond demonstrating a level of competency and proficiency, certification proves that you are committed to your cause and that you've invested the time and money to prove it. Holding a certification also makes you a more valuable employee, and often results in raises, promotions, and a better career.
For organizations, certifications identify the credentials that can be used to hire the right employee. Having certified employees also increases sales for the organization by proving to prospective clients that the organization has the skills to support its claims.
For the ultimate and complete, all inclusive learning experience, please see our Las Vegas Boot Camp Experience.
We take care of all logistics for you, so you can concentrate on learning, acquiring skills and getting certified. We provide instructors, books, computer equipment and software in a comfortable learning environment for most training.
Do you have the right background for CAP: Certified Authorization Professional?
We ensure your success by asking all students to take a FREE Skill Assessment test. These short, instructor-written tests are an objective measure of your current skills that help us determine whether or not you will be able to meet your goals by attending this course at your current skill level. If we determine that you need additional preparation or training in order to gain the most value from this course, we will tell you so right away. We will also recommend cost-effective solutions that you can use to get ready for the course.
Our required skill-assessments ensure that:
- All students in the class are at a comparable skill level, so the class can run smoothly without beginners slowing down the class for everyone else.
- NetCom students enjoy one of the industry's highest success rates, and pass rates when a certification exam is involved.
- We stay committed to providing you real value. Again, your success is paramount; we will register you only if you have the skills to succeed.
This assessment is for your benefit and best taken without any preparation or reference materials, so your skills can be objectively measured.
Take your FREE Skill Assessment test now.
The credential is appropriate for civilian, state and local governments in the U.S., as well as commercial markets. Job functions such as authorization officials, system owners, information owners, information system security officers, and certifiers as well as all senior system managers apply.
Benefit of taking CAP: Certified Authorization Professional at NetCom
Why Choose CAP/CISSP Training at NetCom Learning?
As a recognition for training excellence, NetCom Learning was chosen by Microsoft as the 2007 Worldwide Learning Solutions Partner of the year out of 1400 training companies.
In addition, we have won numerous other training awards for quality and customer satisfaction by CompTIA, EC-Council and other vendors. We are simply passionate about learning and achieving the highest customer satisfaction in your learning experience!
NetCom provides Authorized Training
NetCom Learning is a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner for Learning Solutions (CPLS), Cisco Learning Partner, CompTIA Platinum Partner, EC-Council Accredited Training Center, Adobe Authorized Training Center, Autodesk Authorized Training Center and many others. We are proud to offer the highest quality, authorized training solutions from our many partners for our customers.
See our comprehensive list of partner authorizations.
Award winning, world-class Instructors
- Academic and corporate trainer with over 2000 hours of instruction delivered on security awareness, CISSP, Security+, Safety, core Microsoft courses, MS Exchange and MS ISA server.
- Conducted over 200 security reviews in support of financial audits, policy reviews and network vulnerability assessments.
- Bachelors Degree in Security Management with a Concentration in Information Security from American Military University along with CISSP, CAP and several CompTIA, Microsoft, ISACA certifications.
Donald is a security professional with a wide range of experience from physical security to a concentration in information security. He is the Information Systems & Security Director for a consulting firm. His clients include local municipalities, non-profits, corporations and federal government agencies, specializing in a wide array of compliance programs and security assessments such as PCI DSS, FISMA, COBIT and ISO17799.
Donald is also a trainer and speaker on security topics and has served on various advisory committees and as a subject matter expert in information technology and security. He has over 15 years of experience in the security field as well as more than 2000 hours of instruction delivered on security awareness, CISSP, Security+, Safety, core Microsoft courses and MS ISA server. In addition to that, Donald is the President and Chairmen for the Brentwood Veterans Memorial Building and Commandant for the Delta Diablo Det. 1155 Marine Corps League.
- Vastly experienced working within multinational environments and capable of connecting to different audiences
- In-depth expertise in the implementation, troubleshooting and documentation of networks and security systems, with strong "hands on" technical knowledge of CISSP, CEH and CHFI.
- Master of Science in Electronics Engineering, and holder of several technical certifications.
- Highly-skilled in diverse fields ranging from Security, Computer Forensics, Networking, Routing Protocols, Programming, Databases and Applications to name a few.
With over 25 years of technical experience, Emilio brings a dynamic set of skills supported by a Masters Degree in Electronics Engineering and on-the-field experience working in multinational environments. He also holds more than 12 Cisco, CompTIA, and Microsoft certifications. Although he is well versed and thorough in multiple technological fields, his technical forte lies in the security domain, specifically CISSP, CEH and CHFI.
Emilioļæ½s skills have evolved over time, studying closely and constantly staying well informed of the growing cyber threats. These are just some of the few reasons why Emilio brings to his classes more than just what's in the books.
- Over 32 years of experience as well as 18 certifications, including Cisco, CompTIA, and Microsoft.
- Strong background, with web development & design of infrastructure for companies such as AT&T, Sports Illustrated, and Toys R Us.
- Specialist in applying process and finding solutions to solve them in addition to training people in the skills to manage the process and meet goals.
Jayson is a talented and valued Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) with over 32 years of IT experience. Along with web development & design of infrastructure for companies such as AT&T, Sports Illustrated, and Toys R Us, he holds several IT certifications. He is a CCDA, CCNA, Security+ certified, MCDBA, and MCSE to name a few.
Jayson's focus is on finding solutions to problems and applying process to solve them. He instructs professionals in the skills to manage the process and meet goals, which makes him a respected trainer at NetCom Learning.
- More than 14 years of experience as a Security Subject Matter Expert as well as black belt in a variety of martial arts.
- Numerous Challenge Coins from the US Government including the US Army, and the Criminal Investigation Command.
- Much acclaimed instructor at NetCom Learning, with evaluation scores of 8.8 out of 9.
Larry is a unique instructor and IT security expert. If you sit in one of his classes you might get the feeling of being in a martial arts class - That's exactly how Larry wants it! "The principles behind IT security are the same as those in a variety of martial arts," Larry says. In addition to teaching IT security for over 14 years, he has practiced martial arts since he was 13 years old and holds black belts in multiple disciplines including Tai Chi, Kung Fu, and Kick Boxing. "All of these techniques are like tools for different types of attacks," Larry explains.
Larry's excellence in certification training and passion for IT security has earned him numerous Challenge Coins from the US Government including the US Army, and the Criminal Investigation Command. He is also a much acclaimed instructor at NetCom Learning, with evaluation scores of 8.8 out of 9.
- Over 22 years of professional experience in the IT field, including more than a decade as a Certified Trainer.
- An expert in Cisco's Routing, Switching, Security, Voice and Wireless areas, as well as select Microsoft, Novell, CompTIA, Sun and CWNP courses.
- High-skilled and acclaimed instructor. Has trained over 900 students at Netcom Learning.
Michael has over 22 years of professional experience in the IT field, including more than a decade as a Certified Trainer. An expert in Cisco's Routing, Switching, Security, Voice and Wireless areas, Michael also teaches select Microsoft, Novell, CompTIA, Sun and CWNP courses.
Michael's dedication and passion for teaching is unmatched. He has trained over 900 students at Netcom Learning since 2006 and his evaluation scores average 8.7 out of 9.
- Over 20 years experience in the IT industry.
- CEH and Microsoft training for many government agencies, including the United States Department of Homeland Security, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- CEH and Microsoft training for Fortune corporations such as Merrill Lynch and ADP.
Richard is a premier Microsoft Certified Trainer and Certified EC-Council Instructor. He has over 20 years of experience as a network administrator, security consultant, vulnerability assessor, and penetration tester for assorted Fortune companies.
Richardā??s knowledge on the development and implementation of policies and procedures concerning the security of network data is unsurpassed. He has conducted successful CEH and Microsoft training classes for many government agencies including the United States Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, as well as Fortune enterprises such as Merrill Lynch and ADP.
- Owner of ELearning Development company that focuses on design, security education services and development.
- Globally recognized instructor of engineers and executives from the private sector, civilian government, and DoD.
- Consultant experience focusing on security architecture, instructional design, curriculum development, and training delivery.
Hackmeyer has a bachelor's and master's degree from Florida State University. "Hack", as he likes to be called, is currently the owner of thesecurity education services company CyberCrocodile. For nearly 6 years, CyberCrocodile has focused on delivering live instructional courses focused on CISSPĀ®, Security+ and customized vendor specific security solutions.
Prior to forming CyberCrocodile, Hack spent nearly a decade as a security systems engineer for companies such as: Intermedia Communications, Riptech, Symantec, and Websense. John has experience in architecting security solutions for govern- ment agencies, DoD and global fortune 500 companies.
Mr. Hackmeyer is also the creator of popular and effective educational methodology Conceptual LinkingĀ®.
Actual Client Testimonials
||May 22 2013
|I have had several courses through NetCom and generally they are very good.
- Martin J.
- CISSP - Certified Information Systems Security Professional
||May 22 2013
|The course and in particular the instructor I had was excellent. He used the book, his own slides, and the whiteboard to teach us about the CISSP exam. I took the exam some years ago and didn't pass, took it again right after this class and passed. Simple as that. I really appreciated the drinks, bagels and snacks present on site. Sending the book ahead of time is a great idea
- Ben F.
||Nov 14 2012
|NetCom Learning is professional, the instructors are knowledgeable and prepare the students well for any cert exam and/or teach the course material thoroughly.
- Baila M.
- (ISC)2 CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional
Real world Client Case Studies
|Analyst thrives in performance driven culture with CISSP certification|
|Published On: 17 October 2012|
|Customer: Suzette Manduley|
|Location: New York, NY, US|
||Suzette works in a very competitive environment for a Federal Government Agency in Washington, DC, where one must constantly be willing to transform and grow to be successful. Her Directorate Deputy Director urged her to become certified in CISSP, and to move into Information Assurance (IA) on a full-time basis. However, it was Suzette's personal motivation to pursue CISSP certification. Suzette serves the Director, CIO as a Program Control Analyst and Staff Action Control Officer at The US Army Corps of Engineers (HQ USACE) in Washington, DC. Among myriad responsibilities, she edits and writes policy and business processes for the Directorate. In the past, she has worked as an Operations Director for a technology firm in California, and as an Administrator for OUSD IT executives at the Pentagon and the Department of State with SAIC. Suzette has been recognized as a "top performer" and wants to position herself in her organization as a respected and trusted employee, ready for new job opportunities and promotions.|
||NetCom Learning offers a customized five day intensive class in preparation for becoming a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP). It's the credential for professionals who develop policies and procedures in information security. NetCom Learning trainer Larry Greenblatt uses vendor-approved course work to provide a sound building block to prepare individuals to sit for the IT expert CISSP exam. |
Download and view Case Study in PDF format
CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional
||The coursework allowed Suzette to successfully pass and obtain her CISSP certification which puts her in line for going into IA full-time. Suzette states she gained a great deal from the coursework and class participation. Suzette found the instructor to be the best teacher she ever had for any week long course. According to Suzette,the coursework was delivered in a manner that was both engaging and positive, that included life experience and examples of pertinent subject matter. The instructor left her wanting more, according to Suzette. She expects to take further coursework with NetCom Learning including the CEH and PMP classes.|
Awards won by NetCom
NetCom Learning is an award winning, customer focused company. We are simply Passionate About Learning!
See our list of awards.
Specialized Boot Camp Training
This training is also available as a boot camp. NetCom is world famous for delivering specialized boot camp training to our clients.
For answers to questions regarding our boot camp training delivery format, please refer to our Boot Camp FAQ section.
Next Step, how do I attend the CAP: Certified Authorization Professional?
- Contact us to customize this class with your own dates, times and location. You can also call 1-888-563-8266 or chat live with a Learning Consultant.
Take this training with one of the following training delivery methods below:
NetCom’s classroom training ensures that you have state-of-the-art tools, techniques and practices you need to succeed on the job. Our instructors are active practitioners and true masters in their fields. With convenient classes at multiple learning centers across the US, you never have to go far to get ahead.
Live Online Training (LOT)
NetCom’s premium Live Online Training (we call it LOT) is the ultimate in convenience and cost-effectiveness. LOT combines interactive video instruction via the latest web conference technology, and post-class access to learning labs for a best-in-class learning experience.Learn more about LOT
Boot Camp Training
NetCom’s intensive boot camps are designed to advance your skills in the shortest possible amount of time and get you certified. Boot camps go at a faster pace and often run for longer days, so you must have some level of subject matter experience before enrolling. Boot camps have mandatory assessment tests to ensure no one will slow down the class for other students. Learn more about Boot Camps
Private Onsite Training
With NetCom’s private training programs, you decide where and when courses are held. Tailor the training to reflect your industry, corporate culture, goals and schedule. You pick the course content, length of training and instructional technique. Save money by doing bulk customized training.Learn more about Private Onsite Training
Private 1-on-1 Training
NetCom’s private 1-on-1 training focuses on the highest quality training possible. You get individualized, full attention from the instructor and you decide where and when courses are held. The training is custom tailored to reflect your industry, corporate culture, goals and schedule. You pick the course content, length of training and instructional technique.Learn more about Private 1-on-1 Training
CAP and (ISC)2 are registered marks of the International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium, Inc. Certified Authorization Professional (CAP) and the material presented are not affiliated with or endorsed by (ISC)2