iPhone / iPad Programming with Objective C Basics Course Description
In this course participants will learn to create applications for the popular Apple iPhone. This class first reviews the Objective C programming language and then discusses the important primary skills used by iPhone programmers. By the end of this course, participants will be able to create full iPhone applications that make use of the iPhone OS including the built in camera, geolocation and the accelerometer.
* Students are expected to bring their own Apple laptops or Mac Mini for the iPhone programming class
* Intel Based Mac with OSX 10.7.3 or better operating system installed
* Everyone needs the latest XCode installed which is available from the Appstore. XCode must be installed before class begins.
* Students should have basic programming background for the iPhone class.
* An Apple Developer's license is a desired requirement, which can be obtained by following instructions at the Apple Developer Program
Intended Audience for the iPhone / iPad Programming with Objective C Basics Course
- Individuals who're new to iPhone/iPad development with some basic knowledge and want to sharpen their skills. It is recommended that individuals have some programming background.
Training Packages & Career Tracks that include the iPhone / iPad Programming with Objective C Basics Course
iPhone / iPad Programming with Objective C Basics Course Objectives
- To be familiar with Objective-C.
- To understand Model-View-Controller architecture.
- To be familiar with Xcode, Instruments and Interface Builder.
- To be familiar with Cocoa Touch Library.
- To understand multi touch programming.
- To be familiar with the various pieces if iOS.
- Create sample iPhone and iPad apps that do animation and respond to various acceleration events.
- Interface apps with the Google maps server.
- Interfaces apps with a SQLlite Database.
- Interface apps with the Game Center.
- Interface apps with iAd server.
- Create apps that support both Portrait and Landscape modes.
- Create a User Control.
- Be familiar with UITableView class.
iPhone / iPad Programming with Objective C Basics Course Outline
- Your First Programs and Variables
- Hello World in C
- Declaring and Initializing Variables
- Simple Strings in C
- Arithmetic Operations in C
- Working With Conditionals
- Simple If Statements
- If...Else...If Statements
- Switch Statements
- The Ternary Operator
- Coding Loops
- While and Do While
- For Loops
- Break and Continue Statements
- Creating Arrays
- Looping Through Arrays
- Character Arrays
- Programmer Defined Functions
- Basic Functions
- Creating Function Arguments
- Returning Values from a Function
- Functions and Variable Scope
- Pointers and Memory
- Finding and Storing Memory Addresses
- Pointer Dereferencing
- Using Pointers with Functions
- Memory Allocations
- File IO
- Opening and Reading Files
- Writing to Files
- NSArrays in Objective C
- Creating Arrays
- NSMutable Array
- NSArray Methods
- Numbers and Number Formats
- The NSNumber Object
- Formatting Numbers with NSNumberFormatter
- Strings in Objective C
- The NSString Class and NSMutableString
- Simple String Manipulation with String Classes
- Search and Replace with String Classes
- NSDictionary and NSMutableDictionary
- Declaring an NSDictionary Object
- Reading Data from an NSDictionary Object
- Manipulating NSDictionary Objects with Methods
- Creating Your Own Classes
- Objects versus Classes
- Declaring Class Properties and Tasks
- The @property and @synthesize statements
- Creating an Instance Object from Your Class
- Creating Your Own Classes II
- Class init Methods
- Class Inheritance
- Overriding Tasks
- Class Level Methods
- Creating a Simple iOS Application
- Creating the User Interface
- Setting Component Properties
- Wiring Outlets and Actions
- Rotation and Resizing
- Enabling and Disabling Rotation
- Configuring View Auto-resizing
- Manually placing View Elements
- Hiding the Keyboard
- XCode Storyboarding
- Adding Scenes to the Storyboard
- Adding Segues
- Triggering a Segue Programmatically
- Performing Tasks Before a Segue
- Table Views
- Building a Static TableView
- Building a Dynamic TableView
- Implementing TableView Navigation
- Creating a TableView with Custom Cell Design
- Implementing Navigation
- Tab View Applications
- Setting up the Tab Bar
- Adding additional View Controllers
- Configuring Tab Bar Items
- Creating a Page Based Application
- The UIPageViewController Class
- Setting up a Datasource
- Orientation and Spine Location
- The UIPageViewController Delegate Protocol
- Working with Picker Components
- DatePicker Component
- Custom Picker Component
- Saving Data to the Device
- Basic File I/O
- Saving Object State Using Archiving
- Database Implementation with SQLite
- The Core Data Stack
- Multitouch, Taps and Gestures
- The Responder Chain
- Gestures, Taps and Touches
- Touch Notification Methods
- Location Based Services
- Determining Location
- Calculating Distances
- The Location Manager Delegate
- Working with Maps
- Camera and Media
- Taking and Retaining Pictures
- Playing and Recording Audio
- Playing and Recording Video
Benefits of taking the iPhone / iPad Programming with Objective C Basics course at NetCom
Why choose Apple Training at NetCom Learning?
As a recognition for training excellence, NetCom Learning was chosen by Microsoft as the 2007 Worldwide Learning Solutions Partner of the year out of 1400 training companies.
In addition, we have won numerous other training awards for quality and customer satisfaction by CompTIA, EC-Council and other vendors. We are simply passionate about learning and achieving the highest customer satisfaction in your learning experience!
NetCom provides Authorized Training
NetCom Learning is a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner for Learning Solutions (CPLS), Cisco Learning Partner, CompTIA Platinum Partner, EC-Council Accredited Training Center, Adobe Authorized Training Center, Autodesk Authorized Training Center and many others. We are proud to offer the highest quality, authorized training solutions from our many partners for our customers.
See our comprehensive list of partner authorizations.
Award winning, world-class Instructors
- Experience teaching beginner to advanced software engineering and development classes
- Architectured NetCom Learning's Mobile Development Professional training package (Android & iPhone)
- Acclaimed instructor at NetCom Learning, with evaluation score of 8.7 out of 9.
Mark is an accomplished web and mobile development trainer and Subject Matter Expert. He has been teaching beginner to advanced software engineering and development classes since 2005. With an extensive background in corporate programming he easily understands the impact of new technologies and the knowledge developers need to succeed.
Most recently Mark architectured NetCom Learning's Mobile Development Professional training package (Android & iPhone) to much critical acclaim. Mark's passion and aptitude for the subject matter is abundant, and clearly evident in his near-perfect post-class evaluation scores (8.7 out of 9) and praise from clients.
- Team leader for the first undergraduate team to win the Duke Startup Challenge.
- Over 15 years of experience in the IT industry.
- NetCom Learning Instructor of the Year 2011.
Sam Polsky has spent his entire career in entrepreneurial pursuits, including such fields as biotechnology, software development, data management, and business process management. He began in entrepreneurship as team leader for the first undergraduate team to win the Duke Startup Challenge, a business development competition geared towards Duke University�s various graduate schools.
Sam Polsky has since co-founded a consulting firm where he has been involved in software architecture, development and implementation. On top of that, Sam has been delivering acclaimed solutions in software architecture, development and implementation for over 15 years. He is a much-admired Subject Matter Expert and Trainer at NetCom Learning and was voted NetCom Learning Instructor of the Year 2011
Actual Client Testimonials
||Mar 18 2013
|I was recently a student in the Java boot camp class. I would just like to say that my instructor for that course was one of the best that I''ve ever encountered at your facility - Arthur Gober. I've been a student of at least a dozen classes at NetCom and he is by far one of my favorites now. He was very methodical in the way he taught; he always ensured that I never fell behind in the material; he gave me a great foundation on which to build on in regards to Java programming. He actually inspired me to become a better programmer and for that I will always be grateful.
- Kevin W.
||Feb 24 2013
|Instructor (Jeff Mullen) was great- very knowledgeable and friendly.
NetCom Learning was great to work with!
- Jennifer S.
||Feb 15 2013
|I've been a student at NetCom Learning for over 10 years now and I have enjoyed every class I''ve ever taken there. The classes are small which I find to be beneficial (5-10 students) and the instructors are always very knowledgeable in regards to the material they are teaching.
The receptionists at NetCom are always friendly and helpful. The classroom environment is user friendly. The instructors are knowledgeable and helpful. There is a testing center in the facility which is extremely convenient. I can honestly say, I can''t think of anything I would change at NetCom. I am proud to be a student there.
- Kevin W.
||Oct 01 2012
|Comprehensive learning environment. Small class size helped the transfer of knowledge happen easier.
- Bryan B.
||Oct 10 2011
|Training was great and it helped me gain some real practice knowledge for Android Development.
||Jun 29 2011
|The NetCom staff worked with me to ensure the training I desired fit into my schedule. In doing so, I received a great deal of personal attention.
- Mobile Development Professional
Awards won by NetCom
NetCom Learning is an award winning, customer focused company. We are simply Passionate About Learning!
See our list of awards.
Specialized Boot Camp Training
This training is also available as a boot camp. NetCom is world famous for delivering specialized boot camp training to our clients.
For answers to questions regarding our boot camp training delivery format, please refer to our Boot Camp FAQ section.
Enrollment Options for the iPhone / iPad Programming with Objective C Basics course
Training Delivery Methods
Take this training with one of the following training delivery methods
NetCom’s classroom training ensures that you have state-of-the-art tools, techniques and practices you need to succeed on the job. Our instructors are active practitioners and true masters in their fields. With convenient classes at multiple learning centers across the US, you never have to go far to get ahead.
Live Online Training (LOT)
NetCom’s premium Live Online Training (we call it LOT) is the ultimate in convenience and cost-effectiveness. LOT combines interactive video instruction via the latest web conference technology, and post-class access to learning labs for a best-in-class learning experience.Learn more about LOT
Boot Camp Training
NetCom’s intensive boot camps are designed to advance your skills in the shortest possible amount of time and get you certified. Boot camps go at a faster pace and often run for longer days, so you must have some level of subject matter experience before enrolling. Boot camps have mandatory assessment tests to ensure no one will slow down the class for other students. Learn more about Boot Camps
Private Onsite Training
With NetCom’s private training programs, you decide where and when courses are held. Tailor the training to reflect your industry, corporate culture, goals and schedule. You pick the course content, length of training and instructional technique. Save money by doing bulk customized training.Learn more about Private Onsite Training
Private 1-on-1 Training
NetCom’s private 1-on-1 training focuses on the highest quality training possible. You get individualized, full attention from the instructor and you decide where and when courses are held. The training is custom tailored to reflect your industry, corporate culture, goals and schedule. You pick the course content, length of training and instructional technique.Learn more about Private 1-on-1 Training