Android Programming with Java Basics Course Description
The Android platform is the fastest growing mobile development platform in the world. With Android phones being produced by all of the major phone manufacturers, and the addition of new tablet devices, the platform will only continue to grow. NetCom's 7-day Android Programming course will teach application development for the Android Development using the Java Programming Language and the Eclipse Development Environment. This course will include basic application development including use of the Android phone camera, geolocation tools, and playing audio and video files.
Intended Audience for the Android Programming with Java Basics Course
- Preferably anyone with basic familiarity with Java programming, who wants to learn how to get started with Android applications. However, a programmer with no background in Java should be able to pick things up very quickly.
Combo Courses & Learning Plans that include the Android Programming with Java Basics Course
Android Programming with Java Basics Course Objectives
- Learn the basics of Android.
- Understand the application lifecycle.
- Write simple GUI applications.
- Use built-in widgets and components.
- Work with the database to store data locally.
- Build your own Android apps
- Explain the differences between Android and other mobile development environments
- Understand how Android applications work, their life cycle, manifest, Intents, and using external resources
- Design and develop useful Android applications with compelling user interfaces by using, extending, and creating your own layouts and Views and using Menus.
- Take advantage of Android's APIs for data storage, retrieval, user preferences, files, databases, and content providers
- Tap into location-based services, geocoder, compass sensors, and create rich map-based applications
- Utilize the power of background services, threads, and notifications.
- Use Android's communication APIs for SMS, telephony, network management, and internet resources (HTTP).
- Secure, tune, package, and deploy Android applications
Android Programming with Java Basics Course Outline
- Creating Basic Java Applications
- Creating Applications in Packages
- Java Variables
- Java Conditionals and Loops
- Java Arrays
- Java Array Lists
- Java Object Oriented Concepts Review*
- Creating a Java Class
- Improving the Java Class
- Using Inheritance
- Understanding Interfaces
- The Static Context
- Creating Your First Android Applications
- The Hello World Application
- Working with the Emulator
- Introducing the Manifest
- Understanding the Activity Lifecycle
- Creating Listeners
- Listeners Using an inner class
- Listeners Using an interface
- Listeners By Variable Name
- Long Clicks
- Keyboard Listeners
- Understanding Android View Containers
- Linear Layout
- Relative Layout
- Table Layout
- List View
- Android Widgets Part I
- Custom Buttons
- Toggle Buttons
- Checkboxes and Radio Buttons
- Android Widgets Part II
- Autocomplete Text Box
- Map View
- Web Views
- Time and Date Pickers
- Communicating Between Activities
- Switching Activities
- Putting Extra
- Using Shared Preferences
- Storing Information on the Device
- Internal Storage
- External Storage
- Web Communication and Storage
- Audio and Video
- Playing Audio with the MediaPlayer
- More Audio Options
- Playing Video with the MediaPlayer
- Recording and Storing Audio Content
- Custom List Views
- List Activities with Custom Layouts
- List Activities with Custom Adapters
- Displaying multiple items in a List View
- Integrating Web Services
- Text Based Web Services
- Sending data to a Web Services
- Integrating a JSON based web service
- Creating Home Screen Widgets
- Creating the Widget Background
- Placing and Updating the Widget
- Events on the Widget
- Drawing and Animation
- The Android Drawing API
- Animation with XML
- Programatic Animation
- Determining Location
- Integrating Google Maps
- Camera Hardware
- Taking Pictures and Saving in the Album
- Recording Video Content
Benefits of taking the Android Programming with Java Basics course at NetCom
Why choose Google Training at NetCom Learning?
As a recognition for training excellence, NetCom Learning was chosen by Microsoft as the 2007 Worldwide Learning Solutions Partner of the year out of 1400 training companies.
In addition, we have won numerous other training awards for quality and customer satisfaction by CompTIA, EC-Council and other vendors. We are simply passionate about learning and achieving the highest customer satisfaction in your learning experience!
NetCom provides Authorized Training
NetCom Learning is a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner for Learning Solutions (CPLS), Cisco Learning Partner, CompTIA Platinum Partner, EC-Council Accredited Training Center, Adobe Authorized Training Center, Autodesk Authorized Training Center and many others. We are proud to offer the highest quality, authorized training solutions from our many partners for our customers.
See our comprehensive list of partner authorizations.
Award winning, world-class Instructors
- Developed the first online multimedia training content system to Harvard University as well as multiple online multimedia projects for the North Carolina State Government.
- Highly rated instructor averaging 8.7 out of 9 on evaluation reports.
Erick has been training business and IT professionals since 1989, when he developed and introduced the first online multimedia training content system to Harvard University. Since then he has honed his business, programming, and database skills providing highly customized software solutions and education programs for multiple clients such as North Carolina State Government, Cisco, IBM, and Time Warner Cable.
Erick's teaching prowess and real-world experience leading a team of software application developers make him a top Instructor and Subject Matter Expert at NetCom Learning, where he averages 8.7 out of 9 on evaluation reports.
- Team leader for the first undergraduate team to win the Duke Startup Challenge.
- Over 15 years of experience in the IT industry.
- NetCom Learning Instructor of the Year 2011.
Sam Polsky has spent his entire career in entrepreneurial pursuits, including such fields as biotechnology, software development, data management, and business process management. He began in entrepreneurship as team leader for the first undergraduate team to win the Duke Startup Challenge, a business development competition geared towards Duke Universityï¿½s various graduate schools.
Sam Polsky has since co-founded a consulting firm where he has been involved in software architecture, development and implementation. On top of that, Sam has been delivering acclaimed solutions in software architecture, development and implementation for over 15 years. He is a much-admired Subject Matter Expert and Trainer at NetCom Learning and was voted NetCom Learning Instructor of the Year 2011
Actual Client Testimonials
||May 14 2014
|Netcom Learning offers a variety of training for all levels and experience.
- Google AdWords & Analytics Combo
||Oct 28 2013
|Online access to classroom was easy. instructor was knowledgeable on the material that was presented. Textbook that went along with the lecture was an easy read as well as focused on the what the course was about.
The online course was just effective if not better since no commute was necessary and was able to interact just as much or more.
- Joseph D.
||Aug 02 2013
|Excellent class and instructor --- while a very intense experience Khalid made the process interesting and provided the right amount of expertise and patience to make the process successful.
- Allen F.
Awards won by NetCom
NetCom Learning is an award winning, customer focused company. We are simply Passionate About Learning!
See our list of awards.
Specialized Boot Camp Training
This training is also available as a boot camp. NetCom is world famous for delivering specialized boot camp training to our clients.
For answers to questions regarding our boot camp training delivery format, please refer to our Boot Camp FAQ section.
Training Delivery Methods
Take this training with one of the following training delivery methods
NetCom’s classroom training ensures that you have state-of-the-art tools, techniques and practices you need to succeed on the job. Our instructors are active practitioners and true masters in their fields. With convenient classes at multiple learning centers across the US, you never have to go far to get ahead.
Live Online Training (LOT)
NetCom’s premium Live Online Training (we call it LOT) is the ultimate in convenience and cost-effectiveness. LOT combines interactive video instruction via the latest web conference technology, and post-class access to learning labs for a best-in-class learning experience.Learn more about LOT
Boot Camp Training
NetCom’s intensive boot camps are designed to advance your skills in the shortest possible amount of time and get you certified. Boot camps go at a faster pace and often run for longer days, so you must have some level of subject matter experience before enrolling. Boot camps have mandatory assessment tests to ensure no one will slow down the class for other students. Learn more about Boot Camps
Private Onsite Training
With NetCom’s private training programs, you decide where and when courses are held. Tailor the training to reflect your industry, corporate culture, goals and schedule. You pick the course content, length of training and instructional technique. Save money by doing bulk customized training.Learn more about Private Onsite Training
Private 1-on-1 Training
NetCom’s private 1-on-1 training focuses on the highest quality training possible. You get individualized, full attention from the instructor and you decide where and when courses are held. The training is custom tailored to reflect your industry, corporate culture, goals and schedule. You pick the course content, length of training and instructional technique.Learn more about Private 1-on-1 Training
Duration: 7 days (63 hours)
Nov 3, 2014–Nov 7, 2014
Guaranteed to run class (GTR)
Feb 2, 2015–Feb 8, 2015
Feb 23, 2015–Mar 1, 2015
For a customized version of this class, please contact us or call 1-888-563-8266.
Need course pricing?|
Need more information?
Worried about financing?