Symantec NetBackup 7.6.x: Administration
This Symantec NetBackup 7.6.x: Administration course provides the IT professional with instruction on the functionality of Symantec NetBackup 7.6.1 software. This course covers the general principles of using NetBackup to develop and implement a storage management strategy, including how to configure and operate NetBackup 7.6.1., manage NetBackup using the graphical interfaces, commands, and scripts, provide service protection and recovery and use the NetBackup Activity Monitor, NetBackup reports, and OpsCenter to monitor NetBackup activity.
- » This course is for entry level system administrators, system engineers, technical support personnel, and system integration staff who are responsible for the configuration, design, operation, monitoring, and performance optimization of NetBackup.
Back to Top
- » Discuss the challenges of performing backups in today's enterprise computing environments.
- » Describe the functions of the master server, media servers, and clients.
- » Diagram the NetBackup product architecture.
- » Define common terms used in the NetBackup product.
- » Describe how NetBackup backs up and restores data.
- » Identify NetBackup options and agents.
- » Use the NetBackup Administration Console and OpsCenter.
- » Configure and manage basic disk storage units and storage unit groups.
- » Configure file system backup policies and schedules.
- » Perform manual backups and user-directed backups.
- » Restore files using the Java or Windows BAR interface and OpsCenter Operational Restore.
- » Monitor NetBackup backup and restore jobs and perform basic troubleshooting and information gathering
- » steps related to failing jobs.
- » Configure and manage AdvancedDisk storage units and disk pools.
- » Configure tape-based devices and volume pools; perform a robot inventory.
- » Manage robot and tape drive settings, including media sharing.
Back to Top
- Introducing NetBackup
- Introduction to data protection
- The NetBackup environment
- NetBackup concepts
- Using the NetBackup Administration Console
- NetBackup appliance overview
- Using NetBackup OpsCenter
- Configuring NetBackup Storage
- NetBackup storage device concepts
- Configuring NetBackup basic disk storage
- Verifying basic disk storage
- Configuring Policies and Schedules
- Introduction to backup policies
- Creating and configuring policy attributes
- Creating a policy schedule
- Adding client to a policy
- Creating backup selections
- Managing existing policies
- Performing File System Backups
- Using and customizing the NetBackup Activity Monitor
- Performing manual backup operations
- Performing user-directed backups
- Backup job-related tips
- Performing File System Restores
- Introduction to restores
- Performing restore operations using the Java BAR interface
- Performing restore operations using the Windows BAR interface
- Performing restore operations using OpsCenter Operational Restore
- Restore job-related tips
- Configuring Disk Pools
- Understanding disk pools and AdvancedDisk
- Configuring AdvancedDisk
- Managing AdvancedDisk storage
- Configuring Media Server Deduplication
- Introduction to NetBackup deduplication
- Configuring NetBackup media server deduplication
- Configuring client-side deduplication
- Managing NetBackup deduplication
- Configuring Tape Storage
- Understanding Media Manager storage units
- Configuring tape devices
- Verifying tape storage
- NetBackup media concepts
- Configuring media
- Managing Tape Storage
- Managing robots and tape drives
- Monitoring media and media states
- Managing tapes
- Media and device related tips
- Protecting Virtual Machines
- Introduction to virtual machine backups
- Configuring VMware backups
- Performing and Monitoring VM Backups
- NetBackup support for Hyper-V
- NetBackup support for other virtualization solutions
- Recovering Virtual Machines
- Managing VMware restores
- Using VMware Instant Recovery
- Using the NetBackup vSphere Web Client Plug-in
- Managing Hyper-V restores
- Duplicating Backups
- Backup duplication concepts
- Storage lifecycle policy concepts
- Using storage lifecycle policies
- Configuring optimized duplication
- Additional Storage Lifecycle Policy features and benefits
- Managing and Protecting the NetBackup Catalog
- Introduction to NetBackup catalogs
- Managing images
- Configuring a catalog backup policy
- Disaster recovery strategies
- Optimizing File System Backups
- File system backup challenges
- Configuring for True Image Restores
- Using synthetic backups
- Optimizing file system incremental backups with change logs
- Using NetBackup Accelerator
- Using multiple data streams
- Optimizing tape drive performance using multiplexing
- Handling busy files on UNIX and Windows file systems
- Collecting Logs and Diagnostic Information
- Support resources
- NetBackup processes, services, and daemons
- Introduction to Logging Assistant
- NetBackup and Media Manager logging overview
- Using the support utilities
Back to Top
We ensure your success by asking all
students to take a FREE Skill Assessment test.
These short, instructor-written tests are an objective measure of your current skills that help us determine whether or not you will be able to meet your goals by attending this course at your current skill level. If we determine that you need additional preparation or training in order to gain the most value from this course, we will recommend cost-effective solutions that you can use to get ready for the course.
Our required skill-assessments ensure that:
- All students in the class are at a comparable skill level, so the class can run smoothly without beginners slowing down the class for everyone else.
- NetCom students enjoy one of the industry's highest success rates, and pass rates when a certification exam is involved.
- We stay committed to providing you real value. Again, your success is paramount; we will register you only if you have the skills to succeed.
This assessment is for your benefit and best taken without any preparation or reference materials, so your skills can be objectively measured.
Take your FREE Skill Assessment test »
Back to Top
Our instructors are passionate at teaching and are experts in their respective fields. Our average NetCom instructor has many, many years of real-world experience and impart their priceless, valuable knowledge to our students every single day.
See our world-class instructors.
Back to Top