Requirements Development, Documentation, and Management
In this course, you will further explore the business analysis lifecycle in both waterfall and agile projects, with a focus on planning, documentation, analysis, management, and communication activities.
Engage in up-front enterprise analysis to ensure that scope and problem statements are clear
Build on the planning skills covered in Business Analysis Essentials to create a comprehensive business analysis plan
Analyze the impact and influence of stakeholders to enable more effective elicitation of requirements
Learn about how and when to use modeling techniques used in business analysis, and practice creating swimlane diagrams, use case models and descriptions, user stories, state diagrams, data dictionaries, and entity relationship diagrams
Write effective requirements and accurately revise existing requirements to meet quality criteria
Effectively manage the requirements to ensure accuracy, efficiency, and consistency in communication; to ensure requirements traceability, and to manage change
Plan a review process to ensure the validity of requirements
This course is aligned with IIBA's A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOKGuide) standards.
- » Junior business analyst (BA) working on small projects or on one team
- » Project managers wanting to understand more about documenting requirements
- » People who have several years of business analysis experience but their organizations want to standardize the process or roles
- » People who are new to the business analysis role but who have several years of business experience
- » Managers who want a better understanding of business requirements and documentation
- » Software developers and testers
Back to Top
- » Perform root cause analysis
- » Define, write, trace, and validate, and assess the quality of the four different types of requirements according to the
- » BABOK Guide
- » Validate problem statements, objectives, and scope statements
- » Model requirements to identify gaps and communicate requirements using the following techniques:
- » Process modeling
- » Scenarios and use cases
- » User stories
- » State diagrams
- » Data dictionary
- » Entity-relationship diagrams (ERD)
- » Create a comprehensive Business Analysis Plan (BAP)
- » Plan for requirements elicitation and analysis activities
- » Identify sources for requirements and appropriate elicitation techniques
- » Assemble and communicate requirements packages to various levels of stakeholder groups
- » Perform requirements documentation and management activities in Agile or waterfall environments
- » Assess and justify the value of a proposed change to product scope or requirements
- » Elicit requirements using the observation technique
Back to Top
- BA Lifecycle
- Waterfall vs. Agile
- Documenting and Managing Requirements
- Types of Requirements
- Types of BA Roles
- Risks, Assumptions, and Constraints
- Product vs. Project Scope
- IIBA and PMI
- Strategy Analysis
- SMART Objectives
- Scope and Problem Statements
- Business Needs
- Root Cause Analysis
- Business Requirements
- Business Case
- Product Scope
- Requirements Planning
- PM vs. BA Roles
- Stakeholder Analysis
- Requirements Management Plan
- Business Analysis Plan
- Elicitation and Analysis
- Elicitation Techniques
- Selecting the Appropriate Elicitation Technique
- Requirements Analysis and Documentation
- Applying the BAP to Analysis
- Modeling Techniques
- Validation and Verification
- Requirements Documentation Templates
- Purpose of Modeling
- Textual and Graphical Requirements
- Documenting Requirements in Agile
- Requirements Lifecycle Management
- Communicating Requirements Between Projects
- Changes to Requirements in Agile vs. Waterfall
- Managing Projects for Value
- Applying the BAP
- Solution Assessment and Validation
- Transition Requirements
- Solution Validation
- Close Out
- Exercise 1: Perform a Root Cause Analysis: (Stakeholder Interview and Ishikawa Diagram)
- Exercise 2: Write SMART Business Requirements
- Exercise 3: Write Problem Statement, Vision, and Scope
- Exercise 4: Create a Use Case Diagram to Model Scope
- Exercise 5: Identify Sources for Requirements
- Exercise 6: Create Components of a Business Analysis Plan
- Exercise 7: Plan for Elicitation and Analysis Activities
- Exercise 8: Elicit Requirements Based on Observation
- Exercise 9: Create a State Diagram
- Exercise 10: Define Stakeholder Requirements and User Stories
- Exercise 11: Critique a Business Requirements Package
- Exercise 12: Use Cases and a Swimlane Diagram
- Exercise 13: Create a Data Dictionary Based on an ERD
- Exercise 14: Identify Requirements Packages for Stakeholders
- Exercise 15: Assess the Value of Change to Requirements
- Exercise 16: Identify Transition Requirements
- Exercise 17: Evaluate Solution Performance
Back to Top
We ensure your success by asking all
students to take a FREE Skill Assessment test.
These short, instructor-written tests are an objective measure of your current skills that help us determine whether or not you will be able to meet your goals by attending this course at your current skill level. If we determine that you need additional preparation or training in order to gain the most value from this course, we will recommend cost-effective solutions that you can use to get ready for the course.
Our required skill-assessments ensure that:
- All students in the class are at a comparable skill level, so the class can run smoothly without beginners slowing down the class for everyone else.
- NetCom students enjoy one of the industry's highest success rates, and pass rates when a certification exam is involved.
- We stay committed to providing you real value. Again, your success is paramount; we will register you only if you have the skills to succeed.
This assessment is for your benefit and best taken without any preparation or reference materials, so your skills can be objectively measured.
Take your FREE Skill Assessment test »
Back to Top
- Highly-skilled in graphics and web software including Adobe CS3, CS4 & CS5 Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign, Captivate, Acrobat and Quark;
- Expert in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Licensed Application Instructor and Microsoft Certified Trainer since 2000.
- Over 20 years of experience as Creative Director for multinational corporations such as McCann Erickson, Lintas, and Publicis.
Carmille has been a Licensed Application Instructor and Microsoft Certified Trainer for years. She specializes in web development, business productivity and digital media applications such as SharePoint, Quark and the Adobe Creative Suite as well as numerous programming languages including XML, XHMTL, HTML and CSS.
Carmille is passionate about educating and has a unique talent for making complex design and development principals seem "easy" to students from all levels of expertise. She currently teaches Adobe Graphic and Web Designer, Microsoft Office Specialist, SharePoint End User and the acclaimed Website Development Professional courses at NetCom Learning. Her 20+ years of experience as Creative Director for multinational corporations bring a special and innovative approach to her classes at NetCom Learning.
- Expert in Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Visio, and Access as well as Adobe Graphic and Web Designer (InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Flash Catalyst)
- Holds an A.A.S in Graphic Design as well as various Awards and Affiliations, including MCT, MCP, MCAS, and Office 2007 Master.
- Senior Lead Trainer for over 10 years.
Charles is a Technical Trainer & Instructional Designer for over 10 years. He is a Microsoft Certified Trainer and dedicates himself to Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Visio, and Access. He is also an Adobe specialist and holds a degree in Graphic Design.
Charles is well known for his high evaluation scores, achieving 8.75 out of 9 on a regular basis, teaching in one-on-one, instructor-led, and web-based environments; one of the reasons for his high evaluation is his expertise in increasing personnel performance by developing and implementing programs constructed from the job task analysis process. Charles currently teaches Adobe Graphic and Web Designer, and Microsoft Office Specialist courses at NetCom Learning.
- High-skilled trainer and speaker. Delivered presentations in Dubai, Tokyo, London, New York, and China.
- ITIL V3 Expert, teaching ITIL courses since 2005. More than 99% of her students have passed their ITIL Certification exams.
- Process Improvement Expert with more than 15 years of experience in the Support Center industry as a practitioner, consultant and certified trainer.
Donna is an expert in project management and Process Improvement. Her amazing presentation skills have taken her around the world, giving arrangements in Dubai, Tokyo, London, New York and China to name a few. "The Donna", as she is known in the industry, has more than 15 years of experience in the Support Center industry as a practitioner, consultant and certified trainer.
Donna holds ITIL V3 Expert Certification and offers training and consulting services through NetCom Learning on Process Improvement framework as well as the ITIL practitioner level suite of Lifecycle and Capability Stream certification courses. She began presenting ITIL classes in 2005, and 99% of her students have passed their ITIL Certification exams. Along with ITIL courses, she promotes best practices in the support center industry, focusing on customer service skills training, individual and support center certification, training and consulting, and process infrastructure improvement.
- Bachelors Degree in Mathematics and holder of several Cisco, CompTIA and Microsoft certifications.
- Experienced instructor working in the field since 1999 and Subject Matter Expert at NetCom Learning since 2006.
- Worked as Technical Support at Solomon Smith Barney/Citibank.
Enayat Meer has a Bachelors Degree in Mathematics and holds numerous certifications such as A+, Network+, Security+, CCNA, MCT, and MCTS to name a few. He is an experienced trainer, and has served as an A+, NT4.0, Window 2000 and Windows 2003 instructor in a variety of New York schools since 1999. Since that time, he has also provided technical support at Solomon Smith Barney/Citibank in its private banking and global assets management group.
Enayat has trained over 800 students at NetCom Learning. He has been a Subject Matter Expert at NetCom Learning since 2006 and his hands-on project expertise is an invaluable addition to NetCom Learning's classroom instruction, helping to bring theoretical topics to life.
- Masters Degree in Computer Science from Boston University along with several certifications.
- Over 25 years of experience in the IT field and expert in Unix, GNU/Linux, and Oracle ecosystems.
- More than 10 years working as a Software Engineer in multinational companies such as Hewlett-Packard.
Finnbarr has both breadth and in-depth knowledge of Unix, GNU/Linux, and Oracle with 25+ years of experience in operating system internals development, system administration, application development and project management on a wide variety of hardware and software platforms. As a Software Engineer, he developed and managed numerous projects in multinational companies such as Hewlett-Packard.
Finnbarr is a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers as well as a Moderator at unix.com. He is also a top Instructor and Subject Matter Expert at NetCom Learning and is well recognized by the students for his knowledge and his great teaching technique.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting and a Masters of Business Administration from Rutgers University.
- Over 9 years of experience as a Master Certified Trainer. Expert in MS Dynamics GP Financials, Installation, HR/Payroll, Project Accounting, Inventory and Integration Manager.
- Project Manager to various MS Dynamics Great Plains implementations.
Ginger holds a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting and a Masters of Business Administration from Rutgers University. Her career started as an Auditor for Deloitte & Touch and over the years she developed her passion for Microsoft Dynamics, implementing Dynamics GP and Project Cost in the Professional Services, Commercial Real Estate and Medical Facilities vertical markets.
Ginger's experience with Microsoft Dynamics is unparalleled. As a Certified Master Dynamics trainer, she stays abreast of the latest Dynamics modules and shares experience with a very hands-on training technique at NetCom Learning.
- Masters Degree in Computer Science and several academic projects published over the years.
- Over 20 years of experience as a professor in local and foreign universities, and as a trainer focusing on Web Development.
- In-depth knowledge of programming, including MySQL, PHP, and AJAX.
Hisham holds a Masters Degree in Computer Science, in addition to having more than 20 years of experience as a professor and a trainer. His proven expertise, including a position as a Professor of the Department of Computer Science at Minia University Egypt, and a Professor of the Department of Computer Science at City University of New York, in MySQL, PHP, and AJAX is beyond comparison.
As a NetCom Learning instructor, Hisham stays up to date with the latest news in Advanced Website Development. He shares his knowledge and experience in a very focused and clear way, which students find very enticing.
J Tom K.
- Software Developer and sought-after Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) with over 30 years of hands-on experience.
- Expert in Microsoft technologies: .NET Framework, C#, VB .NET, ASP .NET, XML Web Services, ADO .NET, SQL Server, SharePoint Portal Server, Content Management Server, Commerce Server, BizTalk, MSMQ, COM+, COM Migration to .NET and PocketPC development.
- Extremely knowledgeable and rated as excellent by NetCom Learning students.
Tom Kinser is an accomplished Software Developer and sought-after Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT). Tom is also an expert in successfully designing software, managing and training programmers for over 30 years.
Tom specializes in helping businesses, enterprises, and government agencies apply current technologies to solve their unique business problems. He accomplishes this via hands-on training in cutting-edge programming and database design techniques. Tom consistently delivers successful training engagements in both classroom and live-online settings and is rated as excellent by NetCom Learning students.
- Over 32 years of experience as well as 18 certifications, including Cisco, CompTIA, and Microsoft.
- Strong background, with web development & design of infrastructure for companies such as AT&T, Sports Illustrated, and Toys R Us.
- Specialist in applying process and finding solutions to solve them in addition to training people in the skills to manage the process and meet goals.
Jayson is a talented and valued Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) with over 32 years of IT experience. Along with web development & design of infrastructure for companies such as AT&T, Sports Illustrated, and Toys R Us, he holds several IT certifications. He is a CCDA, CCNA, Security+ certified, MCDBA, and MCSE to name a few.
Jayson's focus is on finding solutions to problems and applying process to solve them. He instructs professionals in the skills to manage the process and meet goals, which makes him a respected trainer at NetCom Learning.
- Highly-skilled Autodesk Certified Instructor; working with Autodesk Softwares since 1993.
- Expert in AutoCAD, Autodesk 3DS, Autodesk Revit, Mechanical Desktop, Inventor, and Architectural Desktop.
- Authored course materials for numerous Autodesk courses.
Joseph is an Autodesk Certified Instructor specializing in developing and teaching Autodesk courses, with a working knowledge of such products as AutoCAD, Autodesk 3DS, Autodesk Revit, Mechanical Desktop, Inventor, and Architectural Desktop.
In addition to teaching and developing courses for the past 10 years, Joseph has authored course materials for many AutoDesk courses. He is also well versed in Inventor 8 and 9.
Joseph demonstrates a straightforward, down-to-earth teaching style in order to reach students at widely differing levels of expertise. His extensive product knowledge and exuberant teaching style makes Joseph a consistently highly rated instructor at NetCom Learning.
- More than 14 years of experience as a Security Subject Matter Expert as well as black belt in a variety of martial arts.
- Numerous Challenge Coins from the US Government including the US Army, and the Criminal Investigation Command.
- Much acclaimed instructor at NetCom Learning, with evaluation scores of 8.8 out of 9.
Larry is a unique instructor and IT security expert. If you sit in one of his classes you might get the feeling of being in a martial arts class - That's exactly how Larry wants it! "The principles behind IT security are the same as those in a variety of martial arts," Larry says. In addition to teaching IT security for over 14 years, he has practiced martial arts since he was 13 years old and holds black belts in multiple disciplines including Tai Chi, Kung Fu, and Kick Boxing. "All of these techniques are like tools for different types of attacks," Larry explains.
Larry's excellence in certification training and passion for IT security has earned him numerous Challenge Coins from the US Government including the US Army, and the Criminal Investigation Command. He is also a much acclaimed instructor at NetCom Learning, with evaluation scores of 8.8 out of 9.
- Over 22 years of professional experience in the IT field, including more than a decade as a Certified Trainer.
- An expert in Cisco's Routing, Switching, Security, Voice and Wireless areas, as well as select Microsoft, Novell, CompTIA, Sun and CWNP courses.
- High-skilled and acclaimed instructor. Has trained over 900 students at Netcom Learning.
Michael has over 22 years of professional experience in the IT field, including more than a decade as a Certified Trainer. An expert in Cisco's Routing, Switching, Security, Voice and Wireless areas, Michael also teaches select Microsoft, Novell, CompTIA, Sun and CWNP courses.
Michael's dedication and passion for teaching is unmatched. He has trained over 900 students at Netcom Learning since 2006 and his evaluation scores average 8.7 out of 9.
- Microsoft Office Specialist with over 14 years of training experience.
- Expert in the IT industry, working in the IT field since 1986.
- Highly rated instructor with an all-time average evaluation score of 8.7 out of 9.
Paul is Subject Matter Expert specializing in the Microsoft Office Suite and SharePoint end-user technologies with more than 25 years of practical experience in the IT industry. He is also a Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) with over 14 years of training experience.
A sought-after instructor and eternal favorite among students, his instructor feedback scores are among the industry's highest at 8.7 out of 9.0. As a trainer, his knowledge and passion for the subject matter as well as his personable nature, excellent communications skills and sense of humor are implicit in every class. NetCom Learning is proud to have Paul on our roster of IT geniuses.
Ramesh holds a Masters Degree in Computer Science with specialization in Information Security and is pursuing his Doctoral degree in IT from the University of South Australia (UniSA). He is a one of a kind trainer - he has been working in the IT field since 1995 and is an expert in C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, Java/J2EE, PL/SQL, VB, ASP, and XML technologies. Ramesh also has extensive experience developing and implementing BizTalk and SharePoint in large corporations, as well as more than 10 years experience working with Oracle and SQL server/Sybase databases.
With more than 19 certifications, Ramesh is an IT guru and trainer with worldwide experience, which includes presentations and trainings across US, Asia, and Middle East. He is a full time instructor at NetCom Learning and we couldn't be happier in having him as one of our Subject Matter Experts.
- Over 20 years experience in the IT industry.
- CEH and Microsoft training for many government agencies, including the United States Department of Homeland Security, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- CEH and Microsoft training for Fortune corporations such as Merrill Lynch and ADP.
Richard is a premier Microsoft Certified Trainer and Certified EC-Council Instructor. He has over 20 years of experience as a network administrator, security consultant, vulnerability assessor, and penetration tester for assorted Fortune companies.
Richard??s knowledge on the development and implementation of policies and procedures concerning the security of network data is unsurpassed. He has conducted successful CEH and Microsoft training classes for many government agencies including the United States Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, as well as Fortune enterprises such as Merrill Lynch and ADP.
- Autodesk authority. Subject Matter Expert specializing in AutoCAD, Revit, 3D, and other Autodesk softwares with over 25 years of experience.
- More than 21 years of experience as a trainer.
- Highly rated instructor with all-time average student evaluation score of 8.7 out of 9.
Roger is an Autodesk Certified Instructor with over 25 years of experience working with challenging projects in the management and support in Revit BIM, AutoCAD and 3DS Max Systems Applications for numerous Architectural and Interior Design Firms, Construction, Engineering and Manufacturing Companies. He is proficient in Advanced Visualization Design and is a specialist with analysis, customization, management and optimization of BIM Revit, AutoCAD and 3DS Max for best practices and standards procedures. Roger has been able to support and assist many firms in the field of Architectural Design in the past 20 years.
Roger is also a CTT+ certified, with a Bachelors degree in Computer Programming
and also holds a New York University Certification. In addition, he has also been an
instructor since 1990 with proven on-site and online training expertise.
- Team leader for the first undergraduate team to win the Duke Startup Challenge.
- Over 15 years of experience in the IT industry.
- NetCom Learning Instructor of the Year 2011.
Sam Polsky has spent his entire career in entrepreneurial pursuits, including such fields as biotechnology, software development, data management, and business process management. He began in entrepreneurship as team leader for the first undergraduate team to win the Duke Startup Challenge, a business development competition geared towards Duke Universitys various graduate schools.
Sam Polsky has since co-founded a consulting firm where he has been involved in software architecture, development and implementation. On top of that, Sam has been delivering acclaimed solutions in software architecture, development and implementation for over 15 years. He is a much-admired Subject Matter Expert and Trainer at NetCom Learning and was voted NetCom Learning Instructor of the Year 2011
- Specialist in Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, FrontPage, and Access. Microsoft Office Specialist and Microsoft Office Master.
- Degree in Information and Business Technology from South Bank University - United Kingdom.
- Business professional since 1992 and Information Technology instructor since 2003.
Vijayanti has been a business professional for over 20 years and an Information Technology instructor for over 10 years. She is a Microsoft Office Specialist and a Microsoft Office Master with a degree in Information and Business Technology from South Bank University in the UK.
Vijayanti also trained and qualified as an Information and Communications Technology Teacher. She has been working at Netcom Learning as a Software Instructor with an extensive know-how in Microsoft Office Suites.
- Agile Coach/Trainer for the Chief Development Office of JP Morgan Chase Inc.
which is implementing the Agile framework on a company wide basis across all lines
- Professional project management leader for over 13 years, working as the lead in
transformational software projects for Fortune 500 companies.
- While at TD Ameritrade Inc, Arvind created the implementation plan for Agile
enterprise transformation, which included concurrently overseeing both the Cash
Management and Web Platform upgrade project teams.
All of Arvind's professional work has included the coaching and training of company
employees in a variety of technical software applications.
Many of the projects Arvind managed included User Acceptance Testing (UAT),
including all training of end users, and the creation of documentation establishing
business training requirements for new product releases.
Arvind understands how training should be done, from the ground up, as he has
been responsible for writing the training and user manuals he then used for doing
the actual technical software implementation.
Jose Marcial Portilla has a BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering from Santa Clara University. He has a great skill set in analyzing data, specifically using Python and a variety of modules and libraries. He hopes to use his experience in teaching and data science to help other people learn the power of the Python programming language and its ability to analyze data, as well as present the data in clear and beautiful visualizations. He is the creator of some of most popular Python Udemy courses including "Learning Python for Data Analysis and Visualization" and "The Complete Python Bootcamp". With almost 30,000 enrollments Jose has been able to teach Python and its Data Science libraries to thousands of students. Jose is also a published author, having recently written "NumPy Succintly" for Syncfusion's series of e-books.
- Certified Project Management Professional (P.M.P) since 2002.
- Project Management Professional (P.M.P.) with over 30 years of training and consulting business experience.
- Developed and delivered over 600 project management and Microsoft Project workshops to more than 6500 professionals in the past 21 years.
Paul S. Adler is a Project Management Professional (P.M.P.) with over 30 years of training and consulting business experience. He has taught several PMP-preparatory workshops for clients across North America such as Siemens and several departments of the Government of Canada. In addition, Mr. Adler developed and delivered over 600 project management and Microsoft Project workshops to more than 6500 professionals during the past 21 years.
The courses he teaches at NetCom Learning are based on the internationally recognized standards known as the Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) developed by the Project Management Institute. Paul consistently applies a logical, systematic approach to project management consulting & training that is based on his scientific background and training experience. His techniques are derived from his expertise in managing software development, course design and delivery projects as well as from his excellent communications skills.
- RJ has over 15 years of experience in the business with a focus on SAP and Microsoft platforms.
- Founder and CEO of T3 Solutions, a consulting company which provides IT
solutions and training to a variety of clients.
- Cofounder and COO of the North American branch of TC&C USA, now Verba Technologies, a telephone call recording vendor, RJ was responsible for day to day operations of the company, including product introduction, and sales.
RJ has devoted much of his time in the last few years to honing his skills as an instructor, taking classes and obtaining practical learning so that he could attain his certifications in Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Sharepoint 2010 and his Microsoft Certified Trainer certification. In 2006, RJ was awarded the Dale Carnegie Sales Talk Champion.RJ is an avid athlete and is currently a certified spinning instructor.
A love of teaching provides RJ's students with a committed, and enthusiastic instructor who ensures that his students know the expectations in his class, and who can benefit from his use of specific examples from his experience and technological background to make each class interesting and engaging. RJ believes that having a sense of humor is essential for an instructor in order to make learning fun while still covering all the required material.
Back to Top